Meet My Marvelous M'Zukahn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!

Today, I finally got my Marvelous M'Zukahn (it's hebrew for bearded!) We call him Zuka for short. It was a bit of a fiasco with ups, since I didn't know my new apartment's doorbell was broken, but after him not showing up at the pickup location they agreed to, I finally got him to deliver it.

He was absolutely fine, and just looked up at me with a big beardie smile and didn't mind being held at all. He was alert, curious, and loved being held so much that he snuggled into my hand when I tried to put him in his viv. As soon as I did, he was active and interested in the environment, though he did try to dig his way through the glass unsuccessfully! He even made a healthy bm, so that's a good sign, right? ???

He ate well, and enjoyed his crickets, hornworms, and butternut squash. I made a mistake and got superworms, feeding him two before remembering that they were bad for babies! He is acting fine, not sick, so I don't think he's hurting in his tummy.

Zuka did give me one scare. I go to his tank and didn't see him anywhere! Not in either of his hiding spots, or on his log. I was scared he magically poofed himself out of his enclosure like Puff the magic dragon! Luckily I found him hiding under the curling edge of his little green carpet liner. Since it's new, it wasn't laying flat, so he decided to lie down using it as a blanket!

I'm so happy everything is going well, and that my experience with backwaterreptiles.com wasn't one of the bad ones! He's really very healthy and seemingly tame and happy. I do have one question. He's shedding so how often should I soak him? I sprayed him with water, but I was afraid a bath would be too much for a baby after traveling so far. When should I start to bathe him, without stressing him out too much?

Also, how the heck do you get the crickets without losing them or having them escape? They're really fast!

More pics! His markings are really spectacular!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm glad to hear that he made it O.K and seems to be healthy + happy. :) How big were the superworms ? Be aware that those and mealworms are not good [ you already mentioned it ] and can cause impaction + vomiting in baby beardies. Some dragons will reject other insects once they eat meal + superworms .

To keep the crickets in check, put them in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder and shake them pretty hard . Do only 3-4 at a time....this causes them to be dizzy + slow moving and you can drop them right near the beardie, which usually gobbles them right up as they wobble around slowly. That way you don't have to chase after loose ones. Babies don't require baths unless they're dirty, spraying them gently in the tank so they can drink as the drops fall on their head is good. I don't have video of mine doing it, but here's how its done.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiN8uunkvfUAhUF2SYKHSFPC_wQtwIIRjAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgN3tSmkZisM&usg=AFQjCNEH17dGwh1qOu9GiH91SNkMl1h50A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom