Brand new and almost ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector22

Hi guys!

I'm very new with the whole bearded dragon life...
So I decided to do a very deep research before actually adopting my future dragon, I've done extensive homework on the topic and I still have a lot of questions...
(First thing is that im not sure if im in the right topic, I apologize if im not)

So I bought this 40 galon tank, that "includes everything I need", but I would like more guidence towards that because I feel like I am missing something..

So its the "Reptihabitat 40 galon one" it came with "reptisun 10.0 uvb and repti basking spot lamp 100w, it also came with Reptisand, but I am aware that that is not recommended for younger dragons, so I bought a terrarium liner in the mean time, I also bought a big tall log, a hiding spot, the plates for the food and for the water and it came with some food already..

Im aware of the food habits, I just wanna know if theres anything else that I might be missing or I should be aware of.. because I really wanna give this little one the best place he can have.

I appreciate all comments, answers, suggestions, anything

Thank you all in advance!

H.

Heres a pic of how it looks so far..

92943-8940054564.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Those kits are junk. I'm glad you got rid of the sand. You need a good thermometer. A temp gun or a digital with a wire probe put on the basking spot are the only ways to get the correct temp. Also if that came with a coil/ compact uvb you want to replace that with a reptisun 10.0 T5 long tube about 18 inches would work and make sure that the basking light and uvb are next to each other so when he basks he also get uvb. :D

Hector22

Original Poster
I appreciate the quick answer, it came with a thermometer too! Uhm what's the difference with the reptisun that you mention and the one that came with it? Other than the size?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Can you post a picture of the uvb it came with? Most kits come with a coil/compact. Those cause eye, appetite and lethargy problems.

Hector22

Original Poster
Yea it came with the smaller one!
I'll buy the tube then, is that the last thing I need to get ready? I just wanna have a great place before I get my little one, thank you for the help!

Hector22

Original Poster
So I found this in amazon for a good price

Zilla Reptile Slimline Reptile Lighting Fixture with UVB Lamp, 18-Inches

Would that be ideal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's not ideal in a 40g but it's a decent fixture. You need to remove the clear plastic that comes with it as that will intercept UVB. It's a T8 so it needs to be mounted inside the tank about 6'' above the basking area. If you move to a T5 with a reflector you can sit that on top and it will be effective at around 12'' above the basking area.

Hector22

Original Poster
How do I ask for it or look it up online like on amazon?
Pet stores around here aren't that helpful, a guy told me that one that I had the smaller one was fine so I don't trust that place anymore, if you could send me a link or an example on how to look it up on amazon i would really appreciate that!!!

Thank you in advance

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
They love hammocks, don't buy the green mesh hammock, they can get thier nails caught in them and hurt thier arms and toes.
83443-7105375672.jpg
You can make one or buy some fabric ones on line.

Hector22

Original Poster
Hey guys so I found this on amazon

Zoo Med 26053 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 24"

Would that be ideal for my 40 gallon cage? This whole lightning situation confuses me a lot and the pet store people insist that the compact light is more than enough lol

I also found this hammoc on amazon

Penn Plax Lizard Lounger, 100% Natural Seagrass Fibers For Anoles, Bearded Dragons, Geckos, Iguanas, and Hermit Crabs Triangular 10 x 12 Inches

But I don't know if that's ideal because of the whole mesh situation with their toes!

I appreciate all the answers, hopefully I can order everything today and get it soon so I can finally get my lil baby!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would check etsy for a fleece hammock that connects using command hooks rather than suction cups.

As far as the light goes, that's an OK fixture but I believe it comes with a 5.0 bulb so you'd need to order a 22'' T5 ReptiSun 10.0 bulb to go with it. The 22'' bulb will fit right into that fixture and it will work well in your setup though. This is another really good option http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Hector22

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help!

I'm going to place the order and wait for everything to be set before getting little one, just one last question! Where do you get a background for the 40 gallon tank? I went to a couple pet stores and it seems like they only have 20 or 30 gallon ones! And I haven't been able to find it on amazon

Thanks for the help again I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for all the helpful comments!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had my background printed from a photo on a large printer from a photo shop so it would come out to be 36''x18'' to fit the back. A second photo on the side is 18x18''. If you have a high enough resolution photo most print shops can print it out for you to the dimensions you need then you can just tape (I use glue dots) to secure it to the outside of the glass.

76248-4349135794.jpg

Hector22

Original Poster
Hey guys heres an update of the terrarium..

I get the uvb light delivered tomorrow, I just added a hammoc and a little side mushroom that I thought would look good but im not loving it lol

Anyways, here are some pics, please do any comments, suggestions, recommendations, anything will be appreciated! I feel like it is a little too crowded... any advice on that? anything to add.. or to take off?

THANKS in advance!!!

H

92943-8733035028.jpg
92943-3288557436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom