New to owning bearded dragon.. need a little advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirstylou

Hi
I got my 2 year old beardie 3 days ago from someone who was selling him due to not having time. He came in a 4ft tank with a (not very well made) lid. We bought him a new vivarium with sliding glass doors at the front and wood round the side and top, got all the correct lighting and heat, the temp at the basking side of vivarium is 96.
Ive been taking the handling slowly with him. I have read online that they need time to settle in especially with me changing his home anyway when i put my hand in to stroke him sometimes he is ok sometimes his beard cos black. Does that mean i need to back off? He has never puffed up or anything just keeps going black. How long should i wait to pick him up. Im nervous about doing it incase he is not ready and dont want to scare him. He also keeps glass surfing? He has destroyed his set up today after running about is this also due to him not knowing us?

His old owners kept him in their quiet bedroom and said they got him out for half an hour a day. He is now in my living room so will he be getting used to the noise of the tv and noise of our daily living. Will that make him more nervous?

He has upto yet eaten very little veg and also had a few wax worms and also done a poo.
We are getting him some crickets or locust today so i will feed him some of them later on tonight

Thankyou in advance

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he may need a little time to settle in. The glass surfing and trashing the tank could be due to something being off a bit, or perhaps he just wants to get out to roam around a bit which is fine. 96 is a little low for the basking area. I'd shoot for between about 100-105f and the cool side should be around 75-80f or so if you can. What does he have for a UVB source?

At 2 years old he should be eating mostly veges but if he's not used to them, it may take a while to get them into his diet. Just keep offering as much variety as you can and give him a salad every day. Locusts and crickets are good staple bugs. I would offer them every couple of days but only to about 20% (roughly) of his diet. You'll want to coat them with a calcium supplement as well. Nice even, light coat will do. I would avoid the wax worms due to their high fat content. Silk worms, black soldier fly larvae (calci/repti worms) and hornworms are better options for feeder bug variety.

Mysty

Juvie Member
If he keeps rampaging in the viv, set up a safe area for him to roam. He can then explore the environment and get a better idea of where sounds and smells are coming from.

Depending on personality, your beardie may be happy to sit with you on the floor or may shoot off to explore so block off any areas you don't want him to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom