Could I keep a laundry sheet in the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyClaire

so my beardie's tanks can smell pretty bad, I scoop their poop whenever I see it but that smell just lingers and makes my room smell awful. Is it safe to tape a laundry sheet to the side of the inside of the tank? Of course it would be where he couldn't reach it but I know my boyfriends dad does that with his bunny's cage but I didn't know if it could be harmful to my beardie.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
No, do you have sand in the tank ? You need to switch to something like non adhesive shelf liner, tile, newspaper or paper towels. Each time they poop, you need to clean it. Mine won't even poop in his tank. He is potty trained and goes in the kitchen on the linoleum floor.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Just get rid of the sand all together, that's what's causing the smell. Go to wall mart of Bed, bath & beyond and get some non adhesive shelf liner. You are going to have to clean the tank, maybe outside with water and something else to disinfect the tank. Do a search in this site to see if you can get some answers.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's bacterial buildup that's causing the smell. Using a solid substrate like the shelf liner as advised is a good idea. They are much easier to clean and sanitize. You can spot clean poop using a vinegar/water mixture and then use some F10SC to sanitize the tank which should keep it smelling just fine. Proper sanitization is essential for his health and wellbeing as well.

As far as training goes, it's tough when they're little but as they get older and tend to go once a day at most (usually) you can start them on a routine of being outside of the tank at a specific time every day (say breakfast time for example) on an easy to clean surface like vinyl floor. I keep my guy in the sun room (vinyl floor and a door) in the morning until he goes. He has a basking light and I make breakfast for him but after a while he learned the routine and that he has to go before can be free to roam around (within reason). They respond well to routine and can be trained this way to a certain extent. It's now very rare that he poops in his tank. Usually only when we're away and he has no choice.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Aromatic things like laundry sheets, perfume and other fragrances can be irritating to the lungs, more so when they are in a confined space. Same goes for what ever is causeing the smell.

As the others have suggested something easier to clean will be better in the long run though you may need to do a thurough deep cleaning (or two) of the enclosure to get rid of the smell.

Also consider getting a parasite screening at a vets if the smell is instantly terrible. Accumulated waste and bacteria build up in the sand is a definite possibility but fresh poop shouldn't be incredibly rank (it can still be pretty stinky though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom