New Beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyFeline79

Original Poster
Ok. I think we're going to build a larger enclosure for him in the next couple of months. I've been looking at examples online and stuff. I want to be sure he has more room. What's the longest you've seen one go on a "food strike"? As I mentioned before, I let mine try Super Worms and now he turns his nose up at greens and even fruit. Which, he's actually never had fruit. This was going to be his first time with that. I have some Phoenix worms coming from OK. I think they'll be here tomorrow, Thursday at the latest. I've read a lot of good things about those. I'm deathly afraid of roaches (brings flashbacks from when I was A cop....) so I've not tried dubias yet, but, I am trying to come to terms with it as I hear they're very good to feed them as well.. Thanks again for all the advice! I feel a little better now! i let a few other newcomers from that group know about this site as well. I already find it very helpful, and far less confusing

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A larger enclosure is good. The more space the better. Just be sure to set up a T5 UVB light/fixture as that will have optimal output at around 12'' and is best suited for larger enclosures. I'd build something at least 4'x2'x2' (crossfire enclosure like this https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html) Or something even taller.

I've seen adults go on hunger strikes (usually being stubborn) for well over a week. The little guys can go for several days without food although I'd let that be on them rather than withholding food to break stubborn habits at that age. Keep track of his weight and that will tell volumes.

I find the dubias very easy to care for. There are several types of roaches available as feeders. They aren't too bad but some folks are more sensitive to them than others and that's fine. Just worth with what you are comfortable with.

ShadyFeline79

Original Poster
Well, that was quick. Came in to get his hammock and blankets so I could sew them on and there he was, straight up posture, mouth agape. First time I've ever seen his teeth, actually.. So, I'm freshly freaked out again. Idk how long he had been that way as I had been cooking for at least 20 minutes. The temp was around 98 so I'm questioning what I've read in the group as they say his basking spot should be 100-115 degrees?? I don't think Rango is for that? I opened one of the doors and adjusted the light, then I gave him a light misting. Temp is now around 94. He ate some mustard greens that I'd also misted in hopes that he'd get enough hydration.. Anyway, he's basking on the driftwood now and his mouth is closed. Hopefully that crisis is now over lol. That was a very short hunger strike?
91661-5967176985.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100-110 is usually a good range for the basking area. The important thing is to create a nice gradient so down to around 75-80 or so on the cool side. Same goes for UVB exposure. They are very good at moving around and self regulating to get what they need at any given time so giving them options is important. If he was in the basking spot and had his mouth open then he was enjoying the warmth and just keeping his head cooler. If it was too hot for him he'd move away and seek shade or cooler temps.

ShadyFeline79

Original Poster
I ruined his moment... I feel bad now. Again, I've just gotten so much misinformation. I was told that's something of a sign of distress. Jeez, sorry Rango.. Oh, that's not where his food bowl is usually at. It, as well as the water, is on the cooler side of the terrarium. I've just been having to give him his food in his hammock ever since #CarpetGate.. They can sure hold a grudge. Anyway, thanks again for the advice! I warned you that I'm still pretty paranoid but I feel like I'm getting his foods down as far as what he can have and what's good for him. I heard Phoenix worms are very high in calcium so will I still need to put that calcium powder on his food daily/weekly?

I thank you for your time, as does Rango
91661-4280004012.jpg

Good night:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My avatar is a picture of Cooper doing the same thing while he basks. I freaked out the first time I saw him do it and thought it meant he was hungry and kept putting worms in his mouth. He didn't complain about it but it probably annoyed him :lol: First time I saw him eye bulge had me flip out and cancel my plans for the day so I could watch him and bring him to the hospital if needed. That's just what they do when their face is shedding... Point being I've been there (as have a lot of folks on the forum) and we're glad to help share our experience.

The Phoenix Worms (black soldier fly larvae) are pretty calcium rich on their own and I don't dust them. When they hatch into flies I like to offer those as well. My Darwin goes nuts over the flies. They're pretty slow moving and easy to catch/track. Here is a list of good veges and options to offer. It's not comprehensive or rule of law but it's good to reference for ideas. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

ShadyFeline79

Original Poster
Cooper is adorable:) LOL I'm glad I'm not alone here as far as freaking out over things that are not freak out worthy. I saw him doing that and I was just sure he was dehydrated, overheated, or something even worse! I don't think I've left the house for more than 45 minutes since I got him. I check on him constantly!! I'm pretty sure when he gets out of baby/juvie phase, I'll probably relax a little :)

ShadyFeline79

Original Poster
My gosh, he's doing it again.... It was open wider than that but every time I raise my iPad to take a pic, he shuts it. Then about 5 seconds later, he opens it again. I just barely caught him :lol:
91661-7334660985.jpg

Hi I just got my beardie this weekend and I don't know if it's normal behavior for a baby all it does is stay in the basking area and hardly touches it's food and seems to be scared all the time am I doing something wrong?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sabastianm":2b6wbuyi said:
Hi I just got my beardie this weekend and I don't know if it's normal behavior for a baby all it does is stay in the basking area and hardly touches it's food and seems to be scared all the time am I doing something wrong?

It's common for young dragons to be a bit skittish, especially after a move. They are small and easy prey so it's natural for them to be afraid of something (us) so much bigger than they are. Just give him some time to adjust to his new home and be slow/quiet/gentile around him. Perhaps try hand feeding a worm or two and see if that helps over time.

CooperDragon":3k4ujmo4 said:
Sabastianm":3k4ujmo4 said:

It's common for young dragons to be a bit skittish, especially after a move. They are small and easy prey so it's natural for them to be afraid of something (us) so much bigger than they are. Just give him some time to adjust to his new home and be slow/quiet/gentile around him. Perhaps try hand feeding a worm or two and see if that helps over time.

Ok thank you I thought I did something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom