Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introducing Clay and Gizmo! These two little guys were introduced into the family exactly a week ago. Not sure of their genders yet, but they are four months old! But I wanted to check if I'm doing everything right, I'm a new reptile owner. They both live together in a 40 gallon tank. Is this too small? I have a 150 watt infrared light from ExoTerra, and the UVB light is from a desert reptile kit that came with the tank.. I actually just gave them that ExoTerra lamp today, as their basking spot's temp was only 80 - 95 degrees, and the new bulb brought it up to a whopping 105! I hope this isn't too hot for the babies. They're both eating pretty well. Gizmo, I believe, is still going through relocation stress and won't eat too much, but I always pay attention and she at least is eating something. Clay, on the other hand, will eat anything in front of him. He was even willing to try the fruits and veggies I gave him/her! I always spray them every morning, (I read somewhere that that's good for them.) and if I'm having doubts that they know that the water bowl is actually for drinking, I take a needless syringe and put a droplet on their nose just to make sure :D (Clay's actually watching me type this lol.) I have a wooden hide that they sometimes use, a corner hide that has a little cave in it, and a large brach thing that they love to climb on to get closer to the light. I hope I'm doing everything right.. Please give some feedback and possibly some recommendations! Thanks :)

clayandgizmo":e97dywq8 said:
Introducing Clay and Gizmo! These two little guys were introduced into the family exactly a week ago. Not sure of their genders yet, but they are four months old! But I wanted to check if I'm doing everything right, I'm a new reptile owner. They both live together in a 40 gallon tank. Is this too small? <<<< 40 gallons is on the small side, but it works. The much bigger issue is that they are living together. Beardies are solitary and putting 2 together is very dangerous, please separate them asap. If you don't have money for a new tank and really don't want to give one up you can use a large plastic storage bin.

I have a 150 watt infrared light from ExoTerra, and the UVB light is from a desert reptile kit that came with the tank. <<<< 150 may be too much, measure temps with a good (not dial) thermometer, either a temp gun or a probe. The kits are usually pretty bad, unless the UVB bulb is either an Arcadia 12% tube or a reptisun 10.0 tube, ditch it and get one of those, INSIDE the tank.

. I actually just gave them that ExoTerra lamp today, as their basking spot's temp was only 80 - 95 degrees, and the new bulb brought it up to a whopping 105! I hope this isn't too hot for the babies. <<<< This is perfect, 100-110 is good for the basking spot, but again make sure you have a GOOD thermometer.

They're both eating pretty well. Gizmo, I believe, is still going through relocation stress and won't eat too much, but I always pay attention and she at least is eating something. Clay, on the other hand, will eat anything in front of him. He was even willing to try the fruits and veggies I gave him/her! <<<< This is good, but them being together will cause stress and may cause one to stop eating, again please separate.

I always spray them every morning, (I read somewhere that that's good for them.) <<<< Spraying is ok to help with shedding, but once a day is too much and may cause respiratory issues. Give them baths in warm water every few days instead.

and if I'm having doubts that they know that the water bowl is actually for drinking, I take a needless syringe and put a droplet on their nose just to make sure :D (Clay's actually watching me type this lol.) <<<< Yeah they likely won't use the water bowl, that's ok. I'd get rid of it to lower humidity. Unless they get dehydrated the syringe is unnecessary.

I have a wooden hide that they sometimes use, a corner hide that has a little cave in it, and a large brach thing that they love to climb on to get closer to the light. I hope I'm doing everything right.. Please give some feedback and possibly some recommendations! Thanks :)

I'll be honest, it sounds like you got some bad info and you have some mistakes. This is ok and happens to everyone. It sounds like you want help, and that is very good. Please take the advice of myself and others, ask questions, and read the care sheets from this site. Good luck, and again ask any questions, people here want to help you!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I haven't finished reading this but immediately wanted to comment on them living together. Two dragons should never be housed together. I was one of those inexperienced that thought it would be fine. It didn't even take an hour for me to realize this was a mistake, and a second enclosure and setup was purchased the following day (granted I also was thinking an adult with a baby was fine :roll: I was so inexperienced, it's embarrassing.)

I know this is not what you want to hear, but please separate them as soon as you can. Yes, this means a second entire setup and more money spent, but if you want them to live happily w/o stress, this is really your only option unless you choose to adopt out one of them. Keeping them together will result in a dominant/submissive status, and one or both will live their entire life in mental/physical stress.

This is not meant to scold or scare you, but to make you aware of what will inevitably happen if not corrected.

seandeangelis made a lot of good points regarding other topics

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":1xkeow5s said:
I haven't finished reading this but immediately wanted to comment on them living together. Two dragons should never be housed together. I was one of those inexperienced that thought it would be fine. It didn't even take an hour for me to realize this was a mistake, and a second enclosure and setup was purchased the following day (granted I also was thinking an adult with a baby was fine :roll: I was so inexperienced, it's embarrassing.)

I know this is not what you want to hear, but please separate them as soon as you can. Yes, this means a second entire setup and more money spent, but if you want them to live happily w/o stress, this is really your only option unless you choose to adopt out one of them. Keeping them together will result in a dominant/submissive status, and one or both will live their entire life in mental/physical stress.

This is not meant to scold or scare you, but to make you aware of what will inevitably happen if not corrected.

seandeangelis made a lot of good points regarding other topics

Thanks for the feedback!! I will try to separate them soon. I read on the other comment that spraying the tank down was bad :( Oops. But Clay has start shedding in some places.. Mostly his head, is this normal? I'm so paranoid I'll somehow hurt them if I hold them wrong or let them crawl up on my shoulder. I look up almost anything if I have a shadow of a doubt that it's wrong. But do you have any tips regarding letting them get sun outside? I don't want them running off but I would like them to have some fun outside. I know this post is absolutely EVERYWHERE and I'm sorry but I just like to be sure before doing anything. Thank you!! (and thanks again for the post)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I actually just made a topic recently about shedding to help with concerns like that :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232433
Feel free to read through and view the photos.

Shedding mainly the head is totally normal - dragons will shed in patches and not full body like a snake.

I would definitely be careful about letting them get onto your shoulder. There was a recent topic started about this as well from one of our more veteran members
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232306
The younger they are, the more ambitious they are to climb and want to jump, but this isn't just habit of the young ones. If he insists on being on your shoulder, I would greatly recommend keeping one of your hands on him to discourage leaping.

As far as general handling, I'm unsure in which manner you're interacting with him, but we always recommend scooping them under the belly as the third eye on top of their head is an evolutionary scale meant to help detect shadows from overhead, alerting them to predators, meaning picking up from above could result in stress/panic in thinking a predator is coming for them. Other than that, just have a gentle but firm grip on them to make sure they don't go leaping away.

No real recommendations for taking them outside, but depending on where you're taking them, a leash is not a bad idea for some peace of mind. I use this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/399415489/reptile-leash-adjustable-leash-harness?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_-pet_supplies-free&utm_custom1=46229042-7927-4c99-93a7-02e89e077173&gclid=CMnlifaEpNMCFQIQaQodHZMNvg

It fits snug and I've never had an escapee, but they tend to get really spooked when taken outside if not used to it, and may find a way to wriggle out if really determined, so always keep an eye on them. I've read a few posts on here about dragons being taken by birds, so I'm honestly quite concerned to take mine out now if not being held directly by me. Watch for birds overhead, be safe, and if all else, you can get a screened outdoor enclosure if you want to make sure they stay safe :D

clayandgizmo

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":2fmmt3mj said:
I actually just made a topic recently about shedding to help with concerns like that :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232433
Feel free to read through and view the photos.

Shedding mainly the head is totally normal - dragons will shed in patches and not full body like a snake.

I would definitely be careful about letting them get onto your shoulder. There was a recent topic started about this as well from one of our more veteran members
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232306
The younger they are, the more ambitious they are to climb and want to jump, but this isn't just habit of the young ones. If he insists on being on your shoulder, I would greatly recommend keeping one of your hands on him to discourage leaping.

As far as general handling, I'm unsure in which manner you're interacting with him, but we always recommend scooping them under the belly as the third eye on top of their head is an evolutionary scale meant to help detect shadows from overhead, alerting them to predators, meaning picking up from above could result in stress/panic in thinking a predator is coming for them. Other than that, just have a gentle but firm grip on them to make sure they don't go leaping away.

No real recommendations for taking them outside, but depending on where you're taking them, a leash is not a bad idea for some peace of mind. I use this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/399415489/reptile-leash-adjustable-leash-harness?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_-pet_supplies-free&utm_custom1=46229042-7927-4c99-93a7-02e89e077173&gclid=CMnlifaEpNMCFQIQaQodHZMNvg

It fits snug and I've never had an escapee, but they tend to get really spooked when taken outside if not used to it, and may find a way to wriggle out if really determined, so always keep an eye on them. I've read a few posts on here about dragons being taken by birds, so I'm honestly quite concerned to take mine out now if not being held directly by me. Watch for birds overhead, be safe, and if all else, you can get a screened outdoor enclosure if you want to make sure they stay safe :D

As for the shoulder thing, I ONLY let him climb on my shoulder if i'm laying down against something soft. But I always keep my hand right on him so that I know he's there. He's not a jumper really, but Gizmo on the other hand tries to jump off anything and everything. :D And about the handling, I do scoop them from under the belly. I'm far too worried that if I let them outside, they'll run as they're only four months and still fairly small..And quick little devils. When they get bigger I plan on letting them out daily for some sunshine. But for the time being,I may stick to weekly outside visits in a tote while their cage substrate is being scrubbed. Thank you for everything! My mind isn't filled with thoughts that I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong now. Thanks again!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you want your two little spikey babies to both thrive and grow and have the best possible life , it's never too early to separate them.

I made the same mistake with Rex (F) and Puff (M) when we brought them home as near identical sized same age hatchlings, and they looked darned cute together and I was convince they loved each other and were inseparable.
I was feeding them bother together in their shared tank and I soon noticed that Rex was the more active feeder while Puff just seemed to get the odd occasional cricket if it came close enough and Rex didn't see it first.
I noticed when weighing them (weekly) that Rex was growing faster than Puff.

Then at about 6 months old the biting started and the mounting / stacking and chasing become an issue so I immediately set up the second 100L rearing tub and moved Rex out and into it. Problem solved (was a period of sulking from Rex where his growth rate slowed for a few months while Puff's accelerated and his feeding behaviours become better, he was no longer under constant stress and was now getting his full ration of live insect protein and calcium, and UVA and UVB, and no longer had to worry about Rex muscling in on him or picking on him, and he was now a much happier little beardie.

Second pair of baby beardies (Peppa (F) and Toothless (M)) and this time I separated them almost immediately and haven't looked back.

Shoulder surfing and sitting : yes they like it up high, but if they fall or leap off and land on a hard unforgiving surface this often results in brokens arms/ legs/ backs/ internal injuries , and so only let the time climb on the shoulder or higher IF you are seated on the floor or a bed or a nice soft lounge.

Outside : as hatchlings / juveniles = BAD IDEA, they can easily be spooked by something moving over their head and move a lot quicker than most people can , and will likely disappear never to be seen again. So free range time ONLY inside in a safe beardie escape area of the house and always under vigilent supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom