New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmarquis33

Hi all I just acquired a bearded dragon somewhat randomly, I have experience with Leo’s and bias but have never really cared for one of these. Thermometer in the middle towards cool end (poor placement in my part) reads 80F moved it to hit end and it reads 90F and humidity is around 20% in a ten gallon tank. I have a uva/uvb light and a heat lamp and a night heat lamp to keep it around 70F.

Anyway I’ve had it for three days it defecates a small amount about once a day, I read to offer them insects three times in a day along with vegetation (I’m using spinach) in a bowl. Yesterday it ate three crickets and a bite of spinach and since then hasn’t really eaten anything. I know they are tiny and have small stomachs so I imagine it may still be full since it isn’t showing signs of impaction.

I dust the insects with D3.

The animal overall is alert and mobile no obvious external abnormalities to my eyes. My question is is this abnormal eating or is it stress, satiety. thanks in advance

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons a land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles and, worry! A magical realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon?, guess again.....you are now a slave, lol!
Hold up on the spinach, it has been said that it is not good for them in no way shape or form. Try turnip, mustard and, collard greens....no spinach.
Sounds like relocation stress, this will pass with time (sometimes a week or two), it varies with the individual dragon.
You are going to need a much larger viv than a 10gl tank, 40gl is the minimum space needed, 75gl is better but ideally a 2'H x 2'D x 4'L or larger is the best choice. They require a lot of space when they reach adult size.... 16" and bigger. Crowded quarters will only enhance the stress problem and, make it harder for him to adjust to his new surroundings.

Mmarquis33

Original Poster
Ok thanks! Didn't know about the spinach jus thought it was any veg.. I figured the ten would be ok for now since it's only 3 inches long I know how big they get is this ok for now until it grows? Should I keep offering food through the relocation stress? When I have owned snakes in the past this was a bad idea

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Mmarquis33":3lw7fhlm said:
Ok thanks! Didn't know about the spinach jus thought it was any veg.. I figured the ten would be ok for now since it's only 3 inches long I know how big they get is this ok for now until it grows? Should I keep offering food through the relocation stress? When I have owned snakes in the past this was a bad idea

3in?! Are you sure? Is that total length or snout-vent length?? They are usually that size or a little bigger when they are BORN

Mmarquis33

Original Poster
JessPets":1xkobbb7 said:
Mmarquis33":1xkobbb7 said:

3in?! Are you sure? Is that total length or snout-vent length?? They are usually that size or a little bigger when they are BORN

That was a very rough estimate.. the point is it's very small haha sorry!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Mmarquis33":3f8e70si said:
JessPets":3f8e70si said:
Mmarquis33":3f8e70si said:

That was a very rough estimate.. the point is it's very small haha sorry!
When you say length we think nose to tip of the tale, lol!
They grow faster for the first year. You have a short window to get a bigger viv, then the relocation stress will start over. Though not as bad in some cases but, it does happen. This is why I say you need one right away.

Mmarquis33

Original Poster
Duly noted, it is bigger than 3in then! One other question I have is that for feeding time to make it safer and easier to clear out the crickets I have been removing the cage furniture, Is this ok to do or is it adding to stressful situation?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I don't feed bugs in my dragons viv unless they are unable to move much, I feed her in a separate tank to keep from having to rearrange the furniture. I have also fed her from a 16oz mug, just tip it enough for the bugs to get close to the rim and, she gobbled them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom