New beardie owner....and loving it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knomia

Quick back-story.....I have only owned one non-furred pet my whole life and I am a grandmother. In the course of two weeks my daughter-in-law asked me to take over the care and ownership of not one reptile, but two! :shock:

First came Georgia, the veiled chameleon, who I fell head over heels with quite quickly as she loved to come out of her enclosure and just hang out on my shoulder for an hour or so a day right off the bat. That lasted about 9 days when suddenly she wanted nothing to do with me other than food and water and the occasional tank cleaning, :?

I mentioned this to my daughter-in-law who really couldn't think of a reason why but suggested since I was doing so well with Georgia I should really consider taking her bearded dragon. I must tell you....the bearded dragons (they had two at this point) scared the bejeezus out of me. I can't explain why that was but there it is. I told her I would think about it and made a trip to the store for some supplies she needed for her dragon. While in the check-out line, a lady asked me what kind of reptile I was supply shopping for and I told her, "Bearded dragon." She went all gaga explaining how much she adores them and that she considers them the "Labrador of lizards." Hmm maybe this is not such a scary animal after all.

Two days later, I was making a trip home with my yet un-named bearded dragon and all of his paraphernalia.....and I am in LOVE with him. His official name is Carlin (after George Carlin because of a skit where he mentions lizard poop) though my darling husband will only call him Garzirra...no that is not a typo he's just a goofball :)

Fast-forward a month and I have been on this site a TON because of course I know next to nothing about reptiles in general and beardies specifically. :study: I have gathered a lot of information (even though some of it is conflicting and confusing) which I took to heart. I now own a laser thermometer (didn't even know they made such a thing), I changed his UVB out for the Reptisun10, I did get a human heating pad for under his enclosure (it's chilly in my room by choice) just to make sure his little feet never have to touch COLD slate tile and never set it above the lowest setting just to make sure it doesn't get too warm. I think about them (Carlin more) while I am at work and go straight to them when I get home. I have officially become a lizard mom and I love it :D
90811-902929469.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum!

Carlin looks like he is in great hands :) and just murdered a raspberry perhaps?
It's great you have done your research, and I agree there is a lot of mis-information, but you have come to the right site to get all the information you could ever want or need for your new buddy

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons, a mystical realm where things are often not as they seem. A world where, worry, patients, love and, mystery are all part of the average day :) !!! You have now become a slave, LOL!!!
He sure looks happy to be with you.

Knomia

Original Poster
He had indeed just slayed a raspberry....one of his favorite treats! He apparently was saving some for later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom