Brand new friend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifu

Hi my name is jake and I'm from Oregon I have just received the best Christmas present! As you probably guessed it was a bearded dragon I have finally finished naming him his new name is shifu. I don't really know much about them but my mom and I are trying to figure all of the things we need to know about him. If anyone has any info it would much be appreciated thanks. The link down below show more of the story about how I got him.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=229702
90148-3617013474.jpg
90148-7104257270.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Your dragon looks much better and happier than in your previous post!
UVB
What type of uvb light are you using? This is an extremely important part of their daily lives. I prefer to use a long tube type uvb source like the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO. The coil type compact uvb bulbs, (from what I have read) lack sufficient uvb coverage and are bad for their eyes, causing eye irritation, infections and/or blindness. I don't take chances when it comes to my dragons health.
BASKING
His basking temps should be between 95° to 100° for his age. Basking temps are yet another intricate part of the life of your dragon. Proper temps allow for proper digestion digestion and, I'll provide good heat gradients across the in closure if positioned correctly. Warm end (on the floor era) under his basking spot (which should be elevated) the temp should be around 95°+/- 2°. The cool end should be around 80° +/- 3°. These are not written in stone, these are what I have come up with from the research I have done.
SUBSTRATE
I prefer to use something solid that cannot be ingested by my dragon. Loose substrates can cause impaction, which in turn can cause paralysis and death. I recommend rough textured floor tiles, nonadhesive shelf liner, paper towels or newsprint.
NIGHT NIGHT TIME
They prefer it to be cool (around 70° to 75°) and dark. No light emitting heat source, it disturbs their sleep patterns and won't let their metabolism slow down enough to actually rest. If you house temps drop below 65° at night you can use a ceramic heat emitter "CHE" to keep the over night temps up.

I say these things not to say you are doing anything wrong but, as advise to help if you are confused.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
:) what a great story and he's a LUCKY boy, he likely would have died come the first fall cold snap.

basking spot about 40oC recommended , not one of those coloured bulbs.

warm zone about 30oC recommended

if it's cold at night, warm his tank with a CHE and or heatpad. (warmer than 24oC I recommend).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom