New to beardies, here are my babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4saken1

The cage is a bit sparse but that is only temporary, and I need to boost up their rock and get a florescent tube set up under the screen. Some DIY to come asap. I just decided to get a 40gal from Petco now while they had the 1$ a gal sale.

IMG_20170111_200047025_HDR_zpsnevuetq6.jpg

IMG_20170110_221222_zpsdwhlnpk7.jpg

Zelda enjoying her big Z.

IMG_20170110_201954_zpsuvpvotlr.jpg

Zelda with her smaller brother. She is about 3x wide as him and a monster of a girl. Doesn't seem so in this pic but hah she is. They are less than. 3 months old I'd have to ask again.

Edit:

Size.
Girl: 12 inch
Boy: 8.5

Diet.
Dubia
Superworms
Turkish Roaches
Cilantro

(I am working on reducing worms and switching the ratios to a more healthy set)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They look nice and alert. I suggest getting them their own 40g breeders while the Petco sale is on so they can have their own space. They may become territorial especially as they grow which could cause problems competing for resources or attacking eachother in a shared space.

D4saken1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":f9gp2ops said:
They look nice and alert. I suggest getting them their own 40g breeders while the Petco sale is on so they can have their own space. They may become territorial especially as they grow which could cause problems competing for resources or attacking eachother in a shared space.
Thank you. They don't glass surf much. Only a minute or two a day. They are still settling in.

I plan to asap (nice part is Petco and PetSmart rotate the deals here so I always have a deal). We had a big unforseen bill litterally the day after we got them home. So it will be 2-4 weeks until I can get the second setup ready.

Be really watchful of them until separated. Way before I got him my poor guy had his toes chewed off by his sister when they were small because they were kept together too long. He has one back foot with no toes :(

D4saken1

Original Poster
SkimsMommy":ev3ooswc said:
Be really watchful of them until separated. Way before I got him my poor guy had his toes chewed off by his sister when they were small because they were kept together too long. He has one back foot with no toes :(

They lived about 8 together for a time then them and 1 other from a month older litter. None of any of the dragons had nips anywhere so maybe it's just a fluke or age thing.

They have never flared or shown aggression yet so I am keeping a good eye so I can keep them safe until his setup is ready. He does lay on her (has since I first met them) not all the time just when they sleep or if the basking area was crowded in their old group.

I know that can be a dominate behavior but they don't seem to bully, nip, nudge or anything with eachother yet and as mentioned he only occasionally sleeps on her at night.

I know it's more a matter of when vs if, I mean they could be "exceptions" but this risk will be removed asap. I don't want either of them hurt.

Edit:

Is running around a stress behavior? They don't do it often but at times they will. Especially after feeding (seems they are still jazzed and in hunt mode) only of glass surfing or jumping comes up do I worry. Otherwise is it normal?

To be sure I didn't mean to infer that you would want that! Just not everyone knows that things can get ugly. Wanted to be sure you knew they aren't 'friends forever' type of lizards.
They're very cute!
?

D4saken1

Original Poster
SkimsMommy":usr7xj12 said:
To be sure I didn't mean to infer that you would want that! Just not everyone knows that things can get ugly. Wanted to be sure you knew they aren't 'friends forever' type of lizards.
They're very cute!
?
Oh no you are fine I've just been getting a lot about it on a few groups so I just wanted to make sure people know I don't intend to keep them that way : )

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
D4saken1":3990xml6 said:
The cage is a bit sparse but that is only temporary, and I need to boost up their rock and get a florescent tube set up under the screen. Some DIY to come asap. I just decided to get a 40gal from Petco now while they had the 1$ a gal sale.

IMG_20170111_200047025_HDR_zpsnevuetq6.jpg

IMG_20170110_221222_zpsdwhlnpk7.jpg

Zelda enjoying her big Z.

IMG_20170110_201954_zpsuvpvotlr.jpg

Zelda with her smaller brother. She is about 3x wide as him and a monster of a girl. Doesn't seem so in this pic but hah she is. They are less than. 3 months old I'd have to ask again.

Edit:

Size.
Girl: 12 inch
Boy: 8.5 <<<< size difference is indicative that one is getting the lion's share of the insects and other food, and best basking and sleeping spot, while it's companion is constantly stressed , failing to thrive or grow / develop properly. Eventually, the domination will become violent.

Diet.
Dubia
Superworms <<< cut the superworms , only suitable to use as treat for adults.
Turkish Roaches
Cilantro

(I am working on reducing worms and switching the ratios to a more healthy set)

D4saken1

Original Poster
Update:

So instead of splitting their cage since I couldn't get more lights I ended up giving my boy link to a good friend with many herps and already knows beardies.

While this sucked and I'm sad I just didn't want anything to happen to the little guy and two for my first go was overzealous on my part since these were my first.

I can visit him when I want and I know he will be happy and healthy. I just feel bad that I failed the little guy on my end.

Momissa

Aww I don't think you failed him at all, you did what you thought was best and gave him a home where he will be able to thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom