Hello from Skim in Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here in the last few days!
Husband and wife team of adopted parents here.
We are in the 8th week of our beardie experience and are very eager to learn everything we can to make our Mr. Skim as comfortable and healthy as possible.
He is an adult dragon, age is unknown for sure, but at least 3 years old.
When Skim came to us for care he was in less than perfect health, not sick, but not eating a good diet or getting enough attention, and his prior viv had no uvb.

I have a few questions about his weight and appearance and would really like some of your opinions!

For the last two weeks he has been shedding pretty fiercely so it's been hard to get proper color morph pictures, but today his face finally peeled so you can see his normal face color in the first pic (even though it loads upside down). The second picture is the best pic I have of his back before it really started turning white.

Everyone comments on how dark he is when they see him, he seems plenty enough (sometimes gapes) and his light is uva uvb so I don't think that's the problem...he's always this dark colored, but I've seen no other dragons this color before. Thoughts?
89975-5263979137.jpg
89975-2558905455.jpg

Now my other concern is his weight. We have gotten him to gain quite a bit of weight just by feeding him better in terms of frequency and quantity/quality than he was ever getting before. Any helpful tips about getting him to a healthy weight? His tail and legs have plumped up considerably in the last two months as you can see in the comparison image, but his hip bones are visible and his fat pads are still sunken a bit.
89975-4374172431.jpg

His vivarium is 34''x17" and will soon have two levels as we are building a basking deck with a warming cave underneath for sleepy snuggles. The cave will be warmed with a heat rock.

Any help/opinions/advice would be much appreciated!

-Skim's Mommy & Daddy

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello! Welcome to the forum! That is wonderful you rescued a beardie, I'm sure he has a great home :D As far as morph goes, he is just a normal, but is still very cute. What UV light are you using?

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
JessPets":1ner0ew0 said:
Hello! Welcome to the forum! That is wonderful you rescued a beardie, I'm sure he has a great home :D As far as morph goes, he is just a normal, but is still very cute. What UV light are you using?

89975-4944742257.jpg
This is the bulb we have him under. His basking spot is about 12 inches under it.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
That is a basking bulb, not a UV. Is there no other lighting? If not, immediately get a ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE style bulb. Without this he will develop MBD

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I can't read the box in that image so not sure which bulb it is. However, the table shows that 12 inches away would only be 90*, you should try moving it closer or adding another bulb.

I would reccomend getting a tube UVB fixture either way. It adds brightness, much more UVA, and much more UVB to the cage. I think you will see a big difference in his activity in appetite.

I'm not trying to attack your husbandry. I'm actually really happy to hear that you rescued him!

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
Oh believe me, I'm in no way offended.
I'm going now to get a tube light, with the current redesign status of his home it's something I was thinking about anyway to add more light.
I've been slowly over the course of the last two months designing a set up for him that offers the most use of the space in his vivarium.
Once the basking deck goes in this week he will be ten inches away from the basking bulb.
Work in progress:
89975-5231969110.jpg

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
UPDATE:
The bulb I showed above is not the same kind as we have...we have the same brand and size except instead of that bulb variety we have one called Sun Glow that does in fact provide uva/uvb. But, I am out and about buying Mr. Skim additional lighting anyway as his home is needing some bright white type light anyway.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Wow!! That does look awesome. I'm sure he'll enjoy it. Let us know how he reacts to the new tube. I'm interested in how long it takes before you notice a difference.

Which one are you getting?

Reptisun T8 should be UNDER the screen and 6-8 inches from where he basks.
Reptisun T5 HO needs to be AT LEAST 12 inches from him or the index will be too high. It can on top of the screen.

EDIT: What dimensions tank are you using? I might steal your platform setup :D

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
Skipper7":1u7r50tg said:
Wow!! That does look awesome. I'm sure he'll enjoy it. Let us know how he reacts to the new tube. I'm interested in how long it takes before you notice a difference.
I am very eager to see if I notice a marked difference as well, for sure I will update in a couple days on that. So far all he has taken notice of is the fact that I installed a probe thermometer to check his bask temps...hes staring at it suspiciously.

Which one are you getting?
Well, after going to the two places in my area that sell reptile bulbs at all I was rather dissapointed as one store only sold ReptiGlo which I have read is not optimal and doesn't substitute for the quality and performance of ReptiSun, and the other store was out of stock of the tube 10.0. So since I figured out that the other bulb I already have in his tank is actually an ExoTerra Solar Glo 160W (which does emit UVB/UVA) I don't necessarily need a tube fixture. I chose to get a regular style bulb ReptiSun 10.0 which I have now installed in my extra dome and hung side by side with the existing dome. The tank already looks brighter!

Reptisun T8 should be UNDER the screen and 6-8 inches from where he basks.
Reptisun T5 HO needs to be AT LEAST 12 inches from him or the index will be too high. It can on top of the screen.

EDIT: What dimensions tank are you using? I might steal your platform setup :D
My tank is the Exo Terra style that opens in the front. The dimensions of the Natural Terrarium Large/Tall are 90 x 45 x 60 cm / 36” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH)
So far we have loved the convenience of being able to swing open the doors on the front.
You are more than welcome to steal my design, I've been taking pics as I go along and was going to post in the DIY section of the forum when I am completed...it sure has been trial and error.

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
So far I have noticed that Skim is very active. I think this is a combination of the new lights and the fact that he's at the end of his month long shedding. He loves jumping in and out of his water splashing everything, his basking temps are finally where they're supposed to be and he's eating everything I put in his viv. At this rate he'll be fat and happy very quickly.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hello fellow Alaskan husband and wife team of adopted beardie parents. Glad to hear you're getting everything together and that Skim seems to be doing well.

(We're in Anchorage :) )

BTW, I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but be careful with heat rocks. They're notorious for causing thermal burns. Most beardies will bask under their heat lamps when they want to get warm, and go in their caves when they want to cool off and rest where it's quiet and dark.

SkimsMommy

Original Poster
How do I keep it warm enough for him at night without the heat rock? Usually he sleeps near to it, but not on it.

I've put my hand on the heat rock thinking it was pretty warm. He's very attached to it, but I have been wondering if maybe it's not really good for him since most of the other things he's been used to aren't things that are the best for him.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I didn't notice you said you had a heat rock or I would have said something :eek:

Heat rocks are notorious for breaking and creating dangerous hot spots that could burn your dragon. Unless it gets blow 65º or so, there is no need for an external source of heat. If necessary, use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) CHE produce heat but no light, so they are ideal is heat is needed. Hope this helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom