new owner few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

femalefromkent

son was given a beardie last week as late christmas present have been told it is 3 and female so son has named her mrs claws/clause.
the enclosure she came in was not set up correctly by what i have researched (this site great help on that) had sand in bottom(removed now) and no lighting so for the last four days she has just has a household light in there to keep her warm until new bulb arrived today i have only got a blended mercury vapour bulb 100 watt it does give off a blue tint not sure if this is normal. does she need another light/heat source? she doesnt seem to be eating either which is a concern. gave her a bath last night and she pooped in it :lol: is that her saying she dont like them.
90017-2081655325.jpg
90017-1925155302.jpg
90017-7500406378.jpg
90017-861233469.jpg

First things first I want to say I appreciate that you care.

This dragon was probably unwanted and they pawned it off on you, and now your researching how to give it proper care. Great on you

In MY opinion the mercury vapor bulbs are the best, and you do not NEED any more lighting, but if you think some of the tank is too dark or shady you can add some more lighting, that's really up to you ( or how well the dragon can see!)

The dragon looks much happier. But she does look dehydrated, I'm betting you giving her the bath is what made it possible for her to poop! meaning she actually needed it.
Continue the bathing until those wrinkles on her back recede...that's how the experienced keepers gauge hydration, if you pinch the skin and it stays pinched, they're dehydrated. In your case, she looks like a shrivelled up raisin ;) She loved the bath.

If you port some more specifics or have any more questions I am sure you'll get even more support.

Wow! This is a very similar situation to what we are in, never had a dragon before and got gifted/rescued an adult beardie who had been on sand, not eating right, not enough baths, etc. he even looks similar to Mrs. Claws! We've had ours for 8 weeks now and I can tell you once she adjusts to better care you will notice a huge change in her looks and behavior.
We started feeding Skim fresh greens with vitamin powder and some super worms because he was underweight...he's already halfway through a full body shed, plus he's grown noticeably.
Socialize a little bit every day, at first we sat in the bathroom and let him run around us while we read a book for half hour. Soon he was climbing all over us and even jumping in my sweatshirt to take a nap (that's his favorite thing now).
If you give her a good bath, and try different types of greens she should start being more interested in eating. We figured out our guy is a bit picky because his diet was so limited with his previous family, but once he gets going...he can eat, and I bet when you find her favorite snack she will perk up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom