Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyLiz1024

Hello everyone,
I have a BD who is about a year and a half old. I have been using eco carpet from the start, but now he is digging/scratching at the carpet more and more and the clean up is not as easy as is use to be. Ive heard sand is a no go! any suggestions ? ( i was recently told about clay substrate but have never heard or seen it)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How much work/maintenance/attention are you willing to pay to the setup?

Tile is a good easy substrate to keep clean. You can use fabric scraps or offer a sand/dirt dog box if there is a specific area they like to dig.

Bioactive soil is a good choice if you have the time to learn (it's more like keeping a fish tank/garden) and don't mind dirt and bugs.

As a note carpet should be replaced as it wears out.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Some people have success with particle substrates like sand, but they are generally best left alone. I have never used or heard of clay substrates either. Non-particle substrates can't be ingested to cause blockage, and are much easier to keep sanitary.

Some good solid substrate choices are non-adhesive shelf liner and tiles. I use slate tiles and love them. Ceramic tiles also work as long as they have some texture to them. Your scaley little friend won't be able to get around if they are too slick! Hardware stores like lowes or Home Depot usually have some cheap tile (check the clearance rack) in stock and will cut them for you. Keep in mind that the interior dimensions of the cage will be slightly smaller than the exterior dimensions! Lay the tiles in the cage with no glue or grout so they are easy to get out! Tiles also help keep your beardies nails in check--No more scratched up hands!

To clean the tiles, you can remove them from the tank and scrub with soap and water (alternatively, rinse/rub off the poop and spray with a veterinary disinfectant such as F10SC). Then rinse well, dry, and put back in the cage! Rinsing well is very important if your soap or cleaner has a strong odor. You can also bake them in the oven to sanitize them. I would reccomend doing this for your first cleaning before putting them in the cage (the same goes for any pieces of wood that you use). Dry the tiles (especially slate), before baking so they don't crack.

Many people use and love the non-adhesive shelf liners. They are easy to cut to size and clean. I believe they are cheap as well! I would reccomend having two pieces that you can alternate for washing. Other probably have better advice on these as I have never used them. I'm not sure how others wash them.

If neither of the above works, paper towels or newspaper are two other cheap and easy to clean choices.

This was very long-winded, but I hope it helped! Good luck with whatever you choose :D !

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
TyLiz1024":2981mehf said:
What about clay substrate?
Can you be more specific?

For example, there are commercial "clay" like excavator clay; I've no personal experience so I can't speak to it. It is expensive though and it seems to take many bags to make t look nice and even then I don't know how it is passed by the body/what it's made of.

Just straight up landscape clay would be a messy and hard to manage substrate IMO. It would be tricky to keep it "just right" moisture wise.

A soil mix could include clay, it could give a good texture for holding burrows but the weight might not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom