New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a bearded dragon before but it wasn't this young. When we got him the person at the store told us not to feed him for a few days so he gets used to his new home. But I thought that was a little weird so I contacted other places and they said that feeding him is ok because it'll help him get comfortable. So we fed him and he ate without hesitating. But today he's just been in his basking spot not doing much. He's ignores the feeders. Is everything ok or is there something I should do?

kornel351

Hatchling Member
Sometimes throughout the year bearded dragons go on a strike from eatting food.This could happen especially before or after a shredding.Its okay if he doesn't eat for 2-3 days just make sure his poop isn't too watery if he doesn't eat within these days then u could check him up at the vet .What is his setup?

KingBowzer

Original Poster
I use a regular 60w clear light bulb for heat. And an exo terra uvb150 for uv light. The tank is about 30 inch long but i have a piece of cardboard in the middle to make it smaller as I was told that a big tank will stress him out. He's about 8 inches long.
Also the tank isn't so much a tank but an old drawer i converted into a tank to hold the heat better than my screen tank. As substrate I'm just using regular printing paper.

KingBowzer

Original Poster
Then I'll just keep and eye on him. I just got him two days ago and he ate yesterday, so it might just be me freaking out because he's so young. I'll keep trying and if it keeps up then I'll need to take him to a vet. Thanks!

ABP1983

Young beardies don't usually brumate, which is kind of like a lizard hibernation.

First off you'll want to ditch that coil UVB tube, they are absolutely awful and probably worse than having no uvb at all. You'll want a tube bulb, we have a ReptiSun t8 and it's wonderful.

What are his temps? His basking spot should be around 105-110, cool side around 85. These are all ball park figures, just trying to give some info. Night time temps shouldn't dip below 65, if they do you'll want to get an alternate source of heat, that doesn't produce light. They need cool time with lights off at night.

KingBowzer

Original Poster
So it's been a few days. I got a new UVB. The temp are at about 102 right now. He's been eating the vevotein black fly larvae and I leave collard greens and romaine lettuce in his tank. He's extremely active. Now I have another concern though. He won't go to sleep. It's been only 1 day but He claws and claws around in his tank. He spent the night running around and digging through the substrate, Jumping and climbing everything almost non-stop. It's almost midnight and he's still awake. Do they normally do this? I've seen energetic bearded dragons but not so much that they don't sleep

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Hi. Do you have any lights on in his tank at night? Beardies like complete darkness. So no they should be sleeping at night not running around.

KingBowzer

Original Poster
I did I had one of those red heat only bulbs. I turned it off and he quickly found a place to sleep.

KingBowzer

Original Poster
I have one more question. Is it normal for a beardie to arch its tail when running around. Sometimes he arches it upward sometime sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom