We went to the store for....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loouees

A fish for my sons birthday and left with a bearded dragon. That was 2 weeks ago. I was unprepared, but we're learning and we are growing and Loouee has grown 2 inches since we got him. And now I cringe as I hear the pet store tell people that "sure" they can go into a 10 gallon tank, use sand for a baby and gasped when I realized they were feeding the babies oranges and tomatos.... And My entire family is lost.... in love

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
One of the worst places to get advice is a pet store. They will try to get you to buy a bunch of expensive stuff that you probably won't need. Then they will tell you a 10 gallon tank is fine if you can't afford the 55 gallon.
Not all pet stores are that way, but sadly many are.

Loouees

Original Poster
This is what we are finding out. The first clue was the SUPERworms they sold us .... for an 8 week old baby. But again we're learning and determined to do this right! (On a side note, we did get the 10 gallon with the intelligence of understanding a 55 gallon was needed by next month. Now I can't find them... The search continues)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Jess is correct Craigslist frequently has tanks advertised. I bought a 100 gallon for $75, a 150 gallon for $100, and a 210 gallon for $150 from craigslist.

Loouees

Original Poster
I have seen them on there... Thanks for the recommendation. The issue now is that he is rapidly becoming spoiled. The hubby wants a custom cage "for his comfort" ?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Custom are GREAT! I built one myself for under $200! I got the melamine for free (thank you craigslist!), some styrofoam for $8, cement, paint, mod podge, food dishes (both free), some shelf paper, a t8 GE light fixture + ReptiSun 10.0 bulb, halogen bulb and $2 fixture (works GREAT!) and an extension cord, and voila! A awesome cage! Here is mine:
87623-5204669372.jpg

Check out this thread- it is amazing! viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704&start=60

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Jess!! That's awesome!! I missed this post til now...it turned out really nice!!
Sounds like we all are finding some good deals. More money for lizard food :)

Loouees

Original Poster
Not going to lie.... just bought 1000 crickets on Amazon. Only about 10 were dead! It's nice not having to go to the store every other day.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, dragons eat a lot!! I have bought from VMFeeders on amazon and have been happy. I avoid "Bassett's" like the plague. Rude customer service and they called me a "liar" when I reported a problem with an order.
Now you just need to start a roach colony so you don't have to buy bugs again.

Loouees

Original Poster
Hubby has vetoed the Roaches.... which I understand. They give him the Heebie jeebies. Also we live in Washington State which is not the best for keeping them alive. We also went and bought hornworms thinking oohhh mummy nutritious.... bought a starter colony with the thought that we were going to try and breed them! Loouee bit them so they died then spit them out!!!!! There goes $$$ down the drain. Oh well gave them to the Craigslist seller.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I live in the NW coastal range of Oregon. Kind of similar weather as Washington. Roaches do fine if set up properly...too bad theres a roach phobia. They would save you a bunch of money...some roaches are even pretty. At least I think orange heads, ivory heads, and death heads are. I have two of those species, and going to start a deaths head colony.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Welcome to the world of being a slave to a tiny little reptile!! It doesn't take long before your trying to convince yourself that your extra change should go to a dragon fund instead of yourself! Mine has currently spoiled herself into creating an automatic feeder... me. I automatically feed her when she walks to her bowl and then stares at me. Amazon and eBay are the BEST for bugs(in my opinion). I use a seller based in California for crickets that sells 500 for $15 and they've been great so far.

As for the pet stores.. everyone here will agree with you on that. We actually had a big discussion recently about all the times we finally had to "correct" pet stores and their bad information.

Btw, dragons trump fish all day every day ;)

Loouees

Original Poster
Yes, every penny on spoiling the baby!! (As I'm currently in Home Depotbuying tiles custom to fit the new cage....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom