Newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I'm new at rising a bearded dragon just got one for my birthday. Any information on diet and equipment is always welcome and any information on rising one is also.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Crickets are a go to protein staple leafy greens such as kale aalfalfa and the sort are great tor the other nutrients and most of the fiber they need too. You will want to dust the crickets (or other protein source) with calcium dust iIwould say once a day while young ( from hatchling to about 7 or 8 months old) and then once every other day after that. What kind of set up do you have for your new little buddy.

lkreiner14

Hey everyone! I am SUPER new to owning a beardie, I do not have one yet, but I am in the process of preparing the terrarium. I got the Zoomed kit from PetSmart as to get my foot in the door and I was really excited to I set it up BEFORE I did more research on juveniles... and the kit came with sand, my question is, should I take the sand out and replace it with a carpet or is there another way to safely have a youngen in sand? And ANY advice for starting out is always appreciated!!

lkreiner14,
You can make a new thread in introductions and you will get more help if you want it. As for the sand, just don't use it for now, and it's best not to use it later either. You can use reptile carpet, paper towels, shelf liner, or my favorite, tile. The kits are usually pretty bad, if you have more questions ask them!

Firesilverblade,
I encourage you to read and research as much as you can, but this is a good starting point:

Pet store kits don't have some things you need, have extra things (some are harmful) you don't need, and bad things that you'll need to replace. Pet store employees often know nothing or are given bad info. Don't listen to them. Do your own research and never take advice from just one person without checking it first.

Offer insects 2x a day. Good staples are crickets, dubia roaches, Phoenix worms, and others. Make sure to dust with calcium powder. Offer collard/mustard/dandelion greens every day.

Never use sand.

Adults need a 40 gallon tank minimum, bigger is better.

Temps should be 75-80F on the cool side, 95-105F on the basking spot. The analog thermometers are very inaccurate, get a good probe digital thermometer or a temperature gun.

Get either a reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% UVB tube, UVB is very important. Don't use colored bulbs, they are bad and don't let them sleep properly. Only use a ceramic heat emitter (invisible light) at night if your temps go below 65F. Have 12-16 hours of light per day.

Good luck with your new Beardie!

EDIT: lol I just realized this is almost a year old. Ignore everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom