Darwin

If you just got a new beardie, introduce your beardie to the community! If you're a newcomer, say hello and introduce yourself.

Re: Darwin

Postby WinFam01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Free range?
I want to try with ours but I read all those scary tales. Course you are much much more experienced than I.
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:03 pm

He is used to being free range a lot at home. There aren't any other pets, floors are cleaned of small things for him to eat, inaccessible areas closed off etc. He has been to the cabin several times before as well. They do pretty well in free range (in my experience anyway) when they have a variety of lighting options available. There really wasn't anywhere for him to get into trouble easily and I had an eye on him most of the time. Everyone's mileage may vary =)
CooperDragon

Postby saraho » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 am

I'd let Charlie be free range in the library, but it's too huge, with too many opportunities for trouble. I love that Darwin has that life though. He looks so majestic in the woods! Charlie loves to walk outside but I've never had the option to take him anywhere with so much foliage, he'd be so excited!
“Let me tell you: the only way to get rid of dragons is to have one of your own.”
― Evgeny Shvarts,
saraho
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:59 am

Yeah a library would probably have too many hiding spots to make it very safe for free range (without supervision anyway). I was surprised how much Darwin seemed to like the woods. It was a cool day (mid 50s maybe) and the trail was damp with cool rocks but he'd wiggle in my hands to be let down and wanted to investigate a bit and sit on one of the rocks or a branch etc. Bright orange beard the whole time, he seemed to love it.
CooperDragon

Postby vrenee1018 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am

Ohhh my! Such sweet pics of Darwin. Glad you were able to take him on your yearly trip! He's such a blessed little guy 😆

Vanessa
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Juvie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Decided to take a road trip and camp in Dinosaur Park on the CO/UT border for a few days. Had a very relaxing time and Darwin LOVED it. I think being in an environment so close to his natural habitat kicked something into gear because he ran around like a crazy man and was head bobbing and basking and really enjoying himself. He is darting all over the house now that we're back home too. It was fun to watch his behavior kick into a sort of natural rhythm. I tried not to interfere aside from when I needed to keep him safe from something and he covered a TON of territory over the course of the day. I was surprised how much area he started defending and exploring. He enjoyed slithering around in dirt, searched out tall grasses and shrubs, basked on rocks etc. Since the nights were cold I put one of the 72hr heat packs in under his blanket and then covered his carrier with fleece. Spot checks throughout the night showed that the carrier stayed in the high 70s which is much better than I expected in 25-30 degree weather at night. It was in the 70s during the day with intense sunshine which was perfect. UVI stayed around 4-5 at the height of the day and surface temps got up into the 90s-100s in direct sun. He spent more time in the direct sun than I expected and just changed his colors throughout the day as needed. Added a few more states to his travel list as well. He's been through NE, WY, CO, UT, KS, and MO now in addition to IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, NY, VT, NH. I should make a little passport for him =)

Basking at the campsite.
[Click image to enlarge]

Hanging out at the campsite at sunset.
[Click image to enlarge]

Hike along the green river bed.
[Click image to enlarge]

Hike up along the canyon wall along the river.
[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Betty53218 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Looks like he was having a great time! My guy loves his outside time too. We live on a gravel pit so lots of rock, grass and woods to explore. He hates coming back in the house! So glad Darwin gets to have such great experiences. Smaug is out for the count at the moment.
Betty53218
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Betty, it's good to hear from you! I'm glad Smaug enjoys outside time too. Is this his normal brumation time? Darwin is usually sound asleep now too, but he went down early this year (starting late May) and I just let him sleep so now he has January energy levels (boosted by the recent trip, I think).
CooperDragon

Postby Betty53218 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:25 pm

He tried to go down in a July this year, but I kept him up so he could enjoy the warm weather. He used to go down early, but the last couple years he at least waited until September. I don’t know why he got so sleepy earlier this time around. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma at the beginning of September and was pretty sick. Had to be in the hospital for a few days. That’s when I was thankful that I could just let him go into his brumation. I still get him up every couple of weeks to get some water into him. Feeling better now that I’m on treatment, but still worry about his care if I’m ever too sick to take care of him. He is hand fed, and I’m the only one who knows how to feed him. We just have a special bond. 😊
Betty53218
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm glad you are feeling better with treatment though. Hopefully that will go dormant and remain that way for a long time. If it ever comes to it, please let me know if you need help caring for him and I will do whatever I can to help.
CooperDragon

Postby Betty53218 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Thank you Liam! That is very sweet of you!
Betty53218
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Introductions