new beardie owner + dragon !

Status
Not open for further replies.

redborzoi

Beardie name(s)
Speck
hey i just recently adopted a 6 week old male bd at my local reptile expo today and wanted to show him off! i haven’t yet figured out a name yet but he’s the sweetest little thing :) he’s moderately stressed right now but that’s to be expected with adjusting to a new set-up. here he is !! any tips or info are greatly appreciated :) also i’m not quite sure how to post photos here yet so here’s a link with a photo!
https : //ibb.co/jTvbL3k [invalid link disabled by admin]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to beardie world
I see your UVB please get a reflector for the fixture you want the rays directed downward toward him - also what is the bulb your using - is it a T 5 or a T 8 they require certain distances -- he is so little --- I love the piece hes sitting on -- I have two tanks and both of the tanks have that same piece --- my dragons love them --

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":236k23ef said:
Welcome to beardie world
I see your UVB please get a reflector for the fixture you want the rays directed downward toward him - also what is the bulb your using - is it a T 5 or a T 8 they require certain distances -- he is so little --- I love the piece hes sitting on -- I have two tanks and both of the tanks have that same piece --- my dragons love them --
thank you for the welcome <3 can i use tin foil as a reflector? i’ve seen it used in several enclosures.. and i will double check for you but i am 99% sure it’s a T8.
he definitely loves that piece the most haha, been licking and sitting on it all day ! i love him loads

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can use the tin foil just make sure the shiny side is out - distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece-- eventually I would upgrade your fixture to a 24" like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia - Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into that tank - if you need anymore help w/ him / her please ask -- make sure your dusting your insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- and feeding salads too -- that UVB is going to help him absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2mb0ivec said:
Yes you can use the tin foil just make sure the shiny side is out - distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece-- eventually I would upgrade your fixture to a 24" like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia - Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into that tank - if you need anymore help w/ him / her please ask -- make sure your dusting your insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- and feeding salads too -- that UVB is going to help him absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating

yes he will be going into a 90 gallon once he gets bigger!! and i tried feeding him just now and he didn’t seem too interested in food, only ate 2 dubia and 2 small pieces of butternut squash. assuming this is normal due to relocation stress ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That and incorrect UVB placement and distance - you want that UVB up to par ---- it will effect his eating but so will relocation stress - his appetite will increase as he gets used to his surroundings - if they dont have adequate UVB he will stop eating so get your UVB straightened out please and go from there

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":3tm74axr said:
That and incorrect UVB placement and distance - you want that UVB up to par ---- it will effect his eating but so will relocation stress - his appetite will increase as he gets used to his surroundings - if they dont have adequate UVB he will stop eating so get your UVB straightened out please and go from there
oh i hadn’t realized my UVB was incorrect- how should i adjust it besides putting a reflector on it?

i sadly can’t put it under the basking light as the fixture is plastic and will melt so i got it as close as i could ^^

is there a way to check what type of uvb bulb i have on the actual bulb itself? as i think i’ve thrown out the packaging^

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on the bulb itself it will tell you the brand and bulb look for T 5 or T 8 on the bulb that will tell me the correct distance and placement of the bulb - your last post under the UVB melting I answered there - your fixture looks like a 24 "------------- you have 2 different dragons- if you cant get the UVB next to the basking light that is ok--- the dragon is going to go to the light he needs just have the decor piece under it w/ the correct distance the older dragon looks to have a UVB w/ a reflector is this correct? What is the bulb in that one T 5 or T 8

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2l7ghxy8 said:
Look on the bulb itself it will tell you the brand and bulb look for T 5 or T 8 on the bulb that will tell me the correct distance and placement of the bulb - your last post under the UVB melting I answered there - your fixture looks like a 24 "
okay i will check the bulb in the morning as right now it’s asleep and i don’t think i should wake it as it’s had a pretty stressful day haha- i will get back to you then and hopefully i can figure out which fixture to get to mount it correctly ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom