new beardie owner + dragon !

Status
Not open for further replies.

redborzoi

Beardie name(s)
Speck
hey i just recently adopted a 6 week old male bd at my local reptile expo today and wanted to show him off! i haven’t yet figured out a name yet but he’s the sweetest little thing :) he’s moderately stressed right now but that’s to be expected with adjusting to a new set-up. here he is !! any tips or info are greatly appreciated :) also i’m not quite sure how to post photos here yet so here’s a link with a photo!
https : //ibb.co/jTvbL3k [invalid link disabled by admin]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to beardie world
I see your UVB please get a reflector for the fixture you want the rays directed downward toward him - also what is the bulb your using - is it a T 5 or a T 8 they require certain distances -- he is so little --- I love the piece hes sitting on -- I have two tanks and both of the tanks have that same piece --- my dragons love them --

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":236k23ef said:
Welcome to beardie world
I see your UVB please get a reflector for the fixture you want the rays directed downward toward him - also what is the bulb your using - is it a T 5 or a T 8 they require certain distances -- he is so little --- I love the piece hes sitting on -- I have two tanks and both of the tanks have that same piece --- my dragons love them --
thank you for the welcome <3 can i use tin foil as a reflector? i’ve seen it used in several enclosures.. and i will double check for you but i am 99% sure it’s a T8.
he definitely loves that piece the most haha, been licking and sitting on it all day ! i love him loads

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can use the tin foil just make sure the shiny side is out - distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece-- eventually I would upgrade your fixture to a 24" like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia - Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into that tank - if you need anymore help w/ him / her please ask -- make sure your dusting your insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- and feeding salads too -- that UVB is going to help him absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2mb0ivec said:
Yes you can use the tin foil just make sure the shiny side is out - distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece-- eventually I would upgrade your fixture to a 24" like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia - Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right into that tank - if you need anymore help w/ him / her please ask -- make sure your dusting your insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- and feeding salads too -- that UVB is going to help him absorb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating

yes he will be going into a 90 gallon once he gets bigger!! and i tried feeding him just now and he didn’t seem too interested in food, only ate 2 dubia and 2 small pieces of butternut squash. assuming this is normal due to relocation stress ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That and incorrect UVB placement and distance - you want that UVB up to par ---- it will effect his eating but so will relocation stress - his appetite will increase as he gets used to his surroundings - if they dont have adequate UVB he will stop eating so get your UVB straightened out please and go from there

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":3tm74axr said:
That and incorrect UVB placement and distance - you want that UVB up to par ---- it will effect his eating but so will relocation stress - his appetite will increase as he gets used to his surroundings - if they dont have adequate UVB he will stop eating so get your UVB straightened out please and go from there
oh i hadn’t realized my UVB was incorrect- how should i adjust it besides putting a reflector on it?

i sadly can’t put it under the basking light as the fixture is plastic and will melt so i got it as close as i could ^^

is there a way to check what type of uvb bulb i have on the actual bulb itself? as i think i’ve thrown out the packaging^

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on the bulb itself it will tell you the brand and bulb look for T 5 or T 8 on the bulb that will tell me the correct distance and placement of the bulb - your last post under the UVB melting I answered there - your fixture looks like a 24 "------------- you have 2 different dragons- if you cant get the UVB next to the basking light that is ok--- the dragon is going to go to the light he needs just have the decor piece under it w/ the correct distance the older dragon looks to have a UVB w/ a reflector is this correct? What is the bulb in that one T 5 or T 8

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":2l7ghxy8 said:
Look on the bulb itself it will tell you the brand and bulb look for T 5 or T 8 on the bulb that will tell me the correct distance and placement of the bulb - your last post under the UVB melting I answered there - your fixture looks like a 24 "
okay i will check the bulb in the morning as right now it’s asleep and i don’t think i should wake it as it’s had a pretty stressful day haha- i will get back to you then and hopefully i can figure out which fixture to get to mount it correctly ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom