New to beardies and this site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a little beardie named mike wazowski at petco. He showed signs of illness within 12 hours and died only 6 days later. After grieving I deep cleaned his tank and accessories and adopted a girl we named Celia from a more reputable source.

After mike’s passing I’m VERY particular about everything I do with Celia. Will post pics of setup soon.

My main concern is her eating. She is a little over 3 months and only eats 15-17 dubias daily since I adopted her 3 days ago.
avg 7 in the AM and 7 two hours before bedtime. About three bites of turnip greens and a bite of squash.

How much repashy should I dust on her Dubias? Should she be eating more? She is not skinny by any means and is very alert and curious

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shes eating good -- she may slow down tho and go thru relocation stress so that would be normal - but for now shes got a good appetite -- dust the insects w/ a light coating - the Repashy is a calcium D3? 5 x per week ONCE per feeding --- she also needs vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps place on her spot where she sits for basking 10 min then get the temp -- 105-110-- these things I am posting about are the most important things in the tank --- next a good UVB NO COILS---- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia ---- 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank --- if you need more help please ask -- rinse her salads before serving and that will give her moisture as well as gut loading the dubias before feeding --- best to feed them at nite then in the morning when you feed her they are gut loaded --

celiabedelia

Original Poster
Thank you so much. It’s the repashy calcium plus. I don’t know how to post pics yet so here’s her setup:

- 40 gal tank
- deep dome double basking and uvb coil light ( I have a t5 ho 10 24”tube light on the way and a basking light stand for the deep dome as well
- the lowest it gets in my house is 74 so I don’t have a CHE
- I’ll be replacing the duo dome light with a single basking light when I get paid. It’s 100 watt basking currently

It’s the zoo med mesh top. Is it ok to place the t5 on top of the mesh and still get adequate UVB?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That was the next question and the answer is NO -- the screen will block too much UVB 30% approx- you will need to either take the screen off or place the UVB inside --- here are some things to hang w/
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers - or this stuff I use this it works great its like Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

celiabedelia

Original Poster
Okay I can do that. Do I need a reflector if inside the tank? Also should I get a hide for her basking side as well - she has one on the cool side of tank.

I have a digital hygrometer on the way and temp gun was told those are vital. Should I bother in getting a uvb meter

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No meter and your UVB fixture you have coming is a what brand? Zoo Med Sunblaster Arcadia? Those all have reflectors in them--- its up to you I have two hides in my tank one sits on the cool side of the tank and one sits under the UVB -- its a basking rock / cave / hide --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom