Meet Daisy! looking for help and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone !
I got my first beardie on Saturday! I am a newbie so I would love to get some feedback and suggestions regarding caring for him.
I'm not sure if the pictures uploaded. Also, in the picture of his tank his lights are off in his tank because I took it at night and he was sleeping.
I have not measured him and don't know how old he is hopefully I will get to measuring him soon!
I bought a starter kit from Petsmart also where I got him from. The kit had a 40 gallon tank along with an Arcadia 100-watt basking bulb and dome, 26 watt desert UVB bulb with a dome, a hiding décor, reptile carpet, and food/ water dishes. He ate 20 small live crickets when I first got him settled in his tank. Sunday he only ate 4 because I think he was stressed out because I changed his tank from sand to tile.
At first I put sand but then did some research and said it was bad for babies so I switched it to reptile carpet on the bottom and then added 2 12x12 tiles in the tank on top of the carpet. I also got him a hammock to bask but he can't get up there on his own because I put it high in his tank but I included a piece of wood so he could climb on it to get to it. ( the piece of wood is temporary looking for a branch of some sort so its bigger and more sturdy) He doesn't sleep in any of his hiding decors I got him he just sleeps in the open so I'm not sure if that's normal behavior. I check the temperatures in the tank with a infrared gun. His cold side is 70-78 F, warm side 85-92F and basking spot is 100-102 F. I also got Repti Calcium and sprinkled it on his crickets that he ate on Sunday. I also put some carrots in there for him to snack on but he doesn't seem interested in them. I originally bought him juvenile bearded dragon whole dried mealworms but he again was not interested. I offered him liver mealworms and he did not bother with them will only take crickets! I am not sure if he is getting enough water, I do mist his tank in the morning a little bit and mist him as well. I am not sure if he is using the bathroom. I vacuumed his sand out today and put the carpet and tile and did not see any signs that he has been to the bathroom.
I have held him a couple of times and petted him in his tank and he does hand feed! For the next week though I am not going to handle him just stick to hand feeding and petting him in the tank until he gets more comfortable in his new environment and so I don't stress him out.
I am very stressed about the lightning and his supplements like calcium and vitamin d .
Should I look into a tube light that gives him uva and uvb light ( put inside his tank across the back of it) ? or just stick with the uvb dome light?
Also am not sure when I should give him baths and if I should take him to the vet?
Is it okay to turn off both lights at night while he is sleeping? It doesn't get cold in my house and I know people keep some heat on at night if it gets cold in the room.
What are some good humidity gauges to put in his tank?
What are good foods to keep in his tank all the time?

So sorry that was a lot of information I just want him to be happy and healthy.
Any suggestions would be great!! :D
111351-2230239255.jpg
111351-6457542390.jpg
111351-2511406583.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Cute little guy. You definitely want a reptisun t5 uvb tube. Turn off lights at night. You only need heat at night if your house gets below 65. Live food is best. Dubai roaches, repti worms, silk worms,crickets. Make sure you offer salads everyday. They get hydrated with their food.

daisythedragon

Original Poster
destiny1998":3jl1ankp said:
Hi. Cute little guy. You definitely want a reptisun t5 uvb tube. Turn off lights at night. You only need heat at night if your house gets below 65. Live food is best. Dubai roaches, repti worms, silk worms,crickets. Make sure you offer salads everyday. They get hydrated with their food.

I ordered the light you recommended. I also ordered a vivarium digital thermostat/ humidity gauge. I am worried he’s not getting enough water. I never see him drinking any or going near it. Do you have tips for making sure he is hydrated? What are the best vegetables I can put in his salad?
Thank you for taking time to answer my questions!! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If he's eating salads rinse the greens before serving- make sure you are gut loading the insects - feed them at nite so when you feed in the morning they are good and loaded- if you need more help please ask- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom