Another New Beardie - Meet Karen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
My husband went to pick up play sand for me to make a lay/dig box for our girl Stella who laid her first egg ever yesterday. When my husband told the lady he was buying the play sand from what it was for, she told him she had been trying to re-home Karen (1 1/2 female) for a while. She gave us a 36 x 18 x 18 terrarium and all her stuff, and also a 36 x 18 x 12 terrarium which I used a a dig/lay box for my Stella. I brought Karen home and started cleaning. The tank was a mess, but I think her previous owner was missing some information about Beardies. There were placemats in the terrarium with tons of sand under it and lots of dubias and super worms running around. Left over dried feces under that and lots of dead bugs. a heat mat in the terrarium under all the sand and bugs. Her terrarium is clean now and she now has a tube UVB and a basking light. When I picked her up today she only had a coil UVB, the heating pad, and a red light for night. No Basking light or tube UVB. This is all I can do with the set up for now on such short notice. I'll buy her a 34" Reptisun HO tube UVB this Friday when I get paid and the same bracket to hang it inside the terrarium like my other two Beardies have in theirs.

Meet Karen, my 3rd beardie, and a true rescue.

98313-2712340872.jpg
98313-7344718897.jpg
98313-5036770571.jpg
98313-8521828237.jpg

Her Terrarium is still in progress. I was lucky to have extra supplies, but all the lights will be replaced, a background will be added, proper hides, and a hammock will be added too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, Karen is the picture of health even though she was not well cared for. At least she had all she could eat, then let the rest of the bugs escape to share her tank with her. :) The coil uvb's do put out some uvb so if she was in a smaller tank it probably made the uvb closer to her basking spot. That, along with calcium dusted insects, kept her in good shape.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her basking spot was an upside down shoe box with a hole cut in it with a piece of wood on top. I guess it worked. Her veggies though came in a bag and you added water. I threw the open bag away and kept the closed bag. I have no intention of using it. I only kept it just in case she refused all real veggies. I can't really see that happening though. I gave her a bath today and she drank water when I dropped it on her nose. She is warming up to me. I think she is going to be a real sweetheart. I gave her a middle name, Karen Rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom