Hello dragoneers?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesom0

Hello all. Welp short story is I ended up with a baby about 6 inches long and one of the petsmart kits. My Mom doesn't drive anymore and she wanted to "look" at them like we always did growing up for a million and one others animals I'll try to list later.

Anyways yeah didn't use the sand it came with, temp thick cotton shirt and rocks I cleaned up. Rocks are granite, sandstone, and a large pretty one with natural metals in it. I have a big piece of slate I'll break up for the flooring in a few days. And make something nice out of bodark, I dried myself, for more climbing and to look nice.

Never really looked into dragons but I kept seeing them everywhere. I grew up catching everything by hand from armadillos to even a few poisonous snakes.Had salt water aquariums with more expensive fish I don't want to remember hah. Had pets that range from horses to a raccoon. Mom grew up the same, military brat who grew up in the deserts of Cali, and even worked in a exotic pet store that dealt with tigers even. But it's been about 5 hours and already gotten him/her dandelion and fresh green beans from my garden. I can see why people love them. So much better already than a snake or other reptiles I've had.

Got him at noon he's ate 6 crickets with calcium, bottled water from a dropper, and the veggies from the yard, no pesticides or fertilizer on it. He seems full now definitely filled out his belly. A little damage on a couple of his toes that looks mostly healed and tip of the tail missing. But seems happy and totally fearless hah. I guess not much stress after where he came from, anything has to be better than that.

After reading how much they can eat and how much protein a young one needs I'll probably be going to get more meat for him soon.

Couple of questions. I live on two acres with 200 around me no pesticides and closest farm two miles away. Are their any native bugs that are safe? Something that doesn't travel far is my only guess, maybe earth worms? Don't know if they carry parasites but I'll probably look into. From reading I didn't see anything about local bugs being safe. Curious if there was something specific that is.

I need to get a vitamin supplement it seems, already have the calcium powder. Anything you recommend I can get locally or more importantly what to avoid?

Any tips are appreciated if they are not well known. I think I have a new favorite reptile, even tho we have box turtles that have been coming back every year for about 17 years now. They would probably be my favorite except I've been bit by one of those. Not cool dude not cool. Old saying here is they don't let go of you until lightning strikes, that seemed accurate enough for me to keep my fingers away from their mouth after that. Oh and and story from Mom I remember. She was riding her bike with two desert tortoises, one in each hand. Long story short she crashed since both bit her, at the same time, on her left and right thumbs.

Luke

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It's not suggested to feed any bugs in the wild because they have a high chance of carrying parasites. You can order bugs from sites. Are you in the US and what state are you in if so? Some bugs that are good are Dubia roaches (depends where you live, some are not allowed) crickets, phoenix worms (aka black soldier fly larvae, calciworms), and silkworms. Some people feed locusts and other types of roaches. I would stay away from meal worms all together and superworms till they are an adult.

Also many of those kits are not really good. What are you using for uvb? Is it a coil bulb or tube? What brand and how close can they get to it. Is there any screen or lens covering the uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom