Hello from Kenpachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifeo

99271-6955773681.jpg

Hello everyone!

After years of being an aquatic pet owner, I decided to get my first reptile. Obviously the bearded dragon was my one and only consideration, these guys are sooo adorable.

I've attached a picture of Kenpachi (a 4 month old baby) as well as a picture of my DIY lamp stand (The store sold me the wrong size stand for the tank I told them I was using.
I considered putting the lamp over a 10 gallon tank I have with a lid, but I think the 100w powersun uv bulb might be too hot for such a small enclosure. Did I make the right call on that?

I look forward to learning from everyone in this forum and experiencing my little dude/girl.
99271-9557874999.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Kenpachi is very sweet! :D
The light placement looks fine, is that the Powersun in the dome then on the light stand?

Tracie

chifeo

Original Poster
Yes, the bulb inside the dome is the powersun. I was told by the pet provider that it was the only light fixture I needed, however, I see almost everyone else has another light over their enclosure, a fluorescent one. Is this fixture really enough?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the Powersun will produce both heat and UVB. To produce adequate UVB levels it should sit 8-12'' above the basking area. If you're able to achieve proper temperature gradients when the bulb is at that distance, it is all you need. If you aren't getting the proper temperature, then you might be better off using a 22'' T5 UVB tube and a separate basking light for heat. That way you can set the UVB tube at the proper distance and control heat independently. If you do this you can use the PowerSun as a portable basking spot outside the tank and for travel.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bearded dragons!! They are the most amazing creatures I have ever had, and I have had many wild and domestic critters. But Beardies truly are special. They have enormous expressive emotional range, are affectionate, smart as any dog, trainable, love snuggles, and I could go on and on....but you will come to know all that. :)

They do require proper set ups, vitamins, UVB, heat...an owner who will really educate themself to their beardies needs. The stores are not good for advice, with much wrong information out there, but you are in the right place for good advice! There are many people here who are very helpful, and devoted to the well being of all beardies. cooperdragon is one of our very dedicated, true experts--I trust any advice from him. Drache613 is another expert to trust, for sure...

I do not consider myself an expert, because I have had only one beardie, for the past three years..he is in great health, so I am doing something right! I raised my big boy from a tiny little six week old baby, and like you, joined this forum for advice and to find others who love beardies. It is an active forum, and I have made some good friends here.

DeziLu is my constant companion, best friend. I would not have believed it if someone had told me that a lizard could be so affectionate and make such a wonderful pet, until I got my boy. Now, I dont know how the rest of the world lives without one. My love for him continues to grow. I hope you will have that with your sweet Kenpachi!

That is an unusual name, where is it from?

Here is my DeziLu, welcoming you both...

82765-702137584.jpg

We love to read about the new babies, so keep us posted! and photos!! Love those photos!

chifeo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1w9ixrsg said:
Yeah the Powersun will produce both heat and UVB. To produce adequate UVB levels it should sit 8-12'' above the basking area. If you're able to achieve proper temperature gradients when the bulb is at that distance, it is all you need. If you aren't getting the proper temperature, then you might be better off using a 22'' T5 UVB tube and a separate basking light for heat. That way you can set the UVB tube at the proper distance and control heat independently. If you do this you can use the PowerSun as a portable basking spot outside the tank and for travel.

Yes, I have proper temperatures in the tank. I was worried at night tho, since I do turn the bulb off around 8 pm EST. I was thinking about buying one of those lights that also have the red/blue light options, to use at night. But I've read in many places that these fixtures are useless and a hindrance to the beardie? Do they need light at night?

I keep my pet room around 78 F, and the room is never "dark" since I keep my fish tanks in there as well.

chifeo

Original Poster
dezismom":2v7hfc9a said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bearded dragons!! They are the most amazing creatures I have ever had, and I have had many wild and domestic critters. But Beardies truly are special. They have enormous expressive emotional range, are affectionate, smart as any dog, trainable, love snuggles, and I could go on and on....but you will come to know all that. :)

They do require proper set ups, vitamins, UVB, heat...an owner who will really educate themself to their beardies needs. The stores are not good for advice, with much wrong information out there, but you are in the right place for good advice! There are many people here who are very helpful, and devoted to the well being of all beardies. cooperdragon is one of our very dedicated, true experts--I trust any advice from him. Drache613 is another expert to trust, for sure...

I do not consider myself an expert, because I have had only one beardie, for the past three years..he is in great health, so I am doing something right! I raised my big boy from a tiny little six week old baby, and like you, joined this forum for advice and to find others who love beardies. It is an active forum, and I have made some good friends here.

DeziLu is my constant companion, best friend. I would not have believed it if someone had told me that a lizard could be so affectionate and make such a wonderful pet, until I got my boy. Now, I dont know how the rest of the world lives without one. My love for him continues to grow. I hope you will have that with your sweet Kenpachi!

That is an unusual name, where is it from?

Here is my DeziLu, welcoming you both...We love to read about the new babies, so keep us posted! and photos!! Love those photos!

82765-702137584.jpg

Kenpachi just happens to be one of my favorite characters on one of my favorite anime. I actually had a scare today with my little one! he (or she) decided to jump off my chest area and run straight under the furniture. Luckily I was able to block the path with a notebook I keep under the sofa.

99271-6364269922.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom