My new beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaniTheBeard

Well I’m new to this, but I just got a female beardie from Atomic Lizard Ranch, and she is the most adorable thing in the world. Her name is Alani, because it’s Hawaiian for orange. And my lord she makes these suicide jumps that scare the crap out of me. But she is going around, and draining the life from so many crickets. For some odd reason she loves her greens a lot! She takes them right from my hand. But yeah, that’s Alani.

Btw she does have a uvb light, it’s a 2 in 1, not a coil or anything cuz those are bad. Her basking temp is 103-105 cool side is low 80’s.

And for her...
97499-8827212117.jpg

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
You’ll need to upgrade her UV lighting ASAP—a Reptisun 10.0 T5 tube or an Arcadia D3 tube are vital in ensuring she gets sufficient UV light. Please see the lighting article on this site for why this is so essential. As for the suicide jumps, baby beardies definitely have no sense of distance or safety and are prone to leaping off of things like spider monkeys on steroids. At this stage I usually keep the handling low to the ground so that they won’t injure themselves. Otherwise I more than likely would have had a baby beardie obituary that read: “Thought that if she jumped off a bookcase a flock of fairies would magically appear and carry her to safety. She was mistaken.” Babies can be very fast and reckless so you’ll find yourself playing neurotic helicopter mom for a while, but luckily adult beardies are much calmer and seem to have a much better grasp on how gravity works (they’re still mischievous toddlers that need to be watched, but their antics are far less likely to give you a panic attack). Glad you’re bonding with the new baby. Just upgrade the UV light so she stays healthy.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Hi I'm a new Beardie mom also. Its been quite an adventure so far. My baby thinks he is a cross between a flying squirrel and a cat! Last night he decided it would be fun to jump from me (I learned to sit on the floor with him) to the coffee table and run full speed to the end so he could fly to the couch. Instead he tumble and flipped to the ground! And proceed to look at me like it was my fault. Enjoy your adventures!!! He is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom