New, worried owner has some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caine

Hey!

Let me preface this by giving you information about this little guy's dietary habits and housing.

The pet store did not give us a specific time range for when he was born, but here is a picture.

9aQBEMB.png

I have had him for just over a fortnight now.

He is housed in a 40 gallon wooden vivarium with kitchen roll as a substrate, he has a log, several hides on both the hot and cold end, as well as multiple small plant-mimicking furnitures which allow him to climb should he want. He has an arcadia 10% UVB tube bulb overhead, and a 100w basking bulb, neither of these are listed as dangerous from my lurking on the forum. The basking spot is around 40*C, while the cooling spot fluctuates from 28*C to 30*C.

He is fed mainly on medium hoppers, though I make sure from head to thorax they do not exceed his eyespan, I dust them with calcium as well as gut-load them with calcium-dusted greens.

So, onto my questions!:

1. When he is not moving about on his log, he tends to relax with his belly touching the ground, he doesnt appear to move with his belly touching the ground, but i am still concerned this could be a concerning symptom. Is it normal, or not?

2. Sometimes, he acts incredibly skittish, yet at other times he seems totally calm and happy to be handled. Is he petrified with fear, or am I just catching him at bad times?

3. Are there any hidden nuggets of wisdom in getting him to eat his greens? I have tried everything from putting it on a white surface to mixing squirming insects in to make it move, he does not seem interested in the slightest!

4. When it's lights out and night time, my bearded dragon seems to become a lot more frantic, and "glass surfs", though he does this against the venthilation ports installed in the sides of his vivarium. Am I doing something wrong? At night it does not usually drop below 15*C.

5. There is a plant that is about 3 inches at it's peak height from the top of the vivarium, and is very close to the UVB bulb. He likes to clamber up, but i am worried this could damage his eyesight. Should i trust him to moderate his own exposure to such a close light, or remove the plant?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! He's a cute little one and looks healthy & alert. He still looks quite young. I'd guess maybe a couple of months old. Your setup sounds good so I'll try and address your questions individually.

1) It's normal for them to let their bellies sag sometimes. It's also common for them to pancake out or puff up, especially when basking or shedding. This helps to increase surface area and to loosen skin, respectively.

2) Their moods can change quite a bit and it's good that you're recognizing it. Just respond based on what you're seeing. If he's acting skittish, give him some space. If he's calm and seems OK with being handled, go for it.

3)The little ones often ignore their greens. Keep trying so it's familiar as a food source. He'll gradually switch to primarily veges between about 12-18 months or so when his growth slows. Until then his appetite for them may be intermittent at best. Try hand feeding. Cut squash into small worm shapes and see if he'll go for that. Don't worry about it too much though.

4) Sometimes they go frantic to try and find a secure place to bunker down. How long do you have the lights on across the day? A 14hr daytime schedule is about right. Perhaps put some small fleece blankets or scraps in the tank to allow him to burrow in for sleep. If your temps are going that low in the tank, I'd get a low wattage ceramic heat emitter to come on overnight. Just enough to keep it above 18 or so. 21-23 overnight is probably the sweet spot. I wouldn't bump it much higher than that except if he is ill.

5)If he likes to climb the plant, leave it in place. As long as he can easily move away from the light, he is likely to do so before it causes any harm. They are pretty good at self regulating if given enough variety/options.

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
Caine":37ttdav3 said:
Hey!

Let me preface this by giving you information about this little guy's dietary habits and housing.

The pet store did not give us a specific time range for when he was born, but here is a picture.

9aQBEMB.png

I have had him for just over a fortnight now.

He is housed in a 40 gallon wooden vivarium with kitchen roll as a substrate, he has a log, several hides on both the hot and cold end, as well as multiple small plant-mimicking furnitures which allow him to climb should he want. He has an arcadia 10% UVB tube bulb overhead, and a 100w basking bulb, neither of these are listed as dangerous from my lurking on the forum. The basking spot is around 40*C, while the cooling spot fluctuates from 28*C to 30*C.

He is fed mainly on medium hoppers, though I make sure from head to thorax they do not exceed his eyespan, I dust them with calcium as well as gut-load them with calcium-dusted greens.

So, onto my questions!:

1. When he is not moving about on his log, he tends to relax with his belly touching the ground, he doesnt appear to move with his belly touching the ground, but i am still concerned this could be a concerning symptom. Is it normal, or not?

2. Sometimes, he acts incredibly skittish, yet at other times he seems totally calm and happy to be handled. Is he petrified with fear, or am I just catching him at bad times?

3. Are there any hidden nuggets of wisdom in getting him to eat his greens? I have tried everything from putting it on a white surface to mixing squirming insects in to make it move, he does not seem interested in the slightest!

4. When it's lights out and night time, my bearded dragon seems to become a lot more frantic, and "glass surfs", though he does this against the venthilation ports installed in the sides of his vivarium. Am I doing something wrong? At night it does not usually drop below 15*C.

5. There is a plant that is about 3 inches at it's peak height from the top of the vivarium, and is very close to the UVB bulb. He likes to clamber up, but i am worried this could damage his eyesight. Should i trust him to moderate his own exposure to such a close light, or remove the plant?

(i know cooper answered this, but might as well tag along ;) )
1. this is normal, atleast mine does it too. we nicknamed him pancake because after a big meal he would go to his basking spot and flatten out really well and look like a pancake.
2. normal for babies, just depends how much his intention span is, if he is scared of your hand, try gently landing your hand in his viv for 10-15 minutes per day, he will recognize your hand wouldn't hurt him.
3. My little one is a dream at his vegs, almost likes them more than bugs. sorry cant be a help here :)
4. nope, probably just finding a nice place to settle down and sleep, (mine does this for a few minutes after lights out before settling down and sleeping)
5. as long as he can get away from it as he pleases, it should be fine. i had one like that and he would climb to the top, i was afraid he would jump and hurt himself so i put it on its side, now its like his bed.
any other ?s feel free to ask

-claire
:book:

Caine

Original Poster
Hey Claire! Thanks for the answers. I've come to putting the plant in when it's close to his bedtime, as he seems to regard it as his bed for right now.

A new behaviour has popped up that kind of concerns me.

his log has a branch that moved all the way out to the edge of the glass vivarium, and he likes to sit ontop of it and look at the room through the glass. I notice while up here, he will often close his eyes, tilt his head, and attempt to "attack" the glass. I am aware this could be him seeing his reflection, but i am curious to be advised on any ways I can minimise the stress it's causing, as i've recently discovered leopard-like stress marks all the way down his underbelly.

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
Caine":2berlquq said:
Hey Claire! Thanks for the answers. I've come to putting the plant in when it's close to his bedtime, as he seems to regard it as his bed for right now.

A new behaviour has popped up that kind of concerns me.

his log has a branch that moved all the way out to the edge of the glass vivarium, and he likes to sit ontop of it and look at the room through the glass. I notice while up here, he will often close his eyes, tilt his head, and attempt to "attack" the glass. I am aware this could be him seeing his reflection, but i am curious to be advised on any ways I can minimise the stress it's causing, as i've recently discovered leopard-like stress marks all the way down his underbelly.
My little arrow did that when we first got him! At least from what you say. Does your bib have a background? I suggest making one and that should solve the problem, atleast it did for me. If you can find a background at a reptile or pet store, you can make you own. I made mine out of a horse magazine I got. (Also side note, Arrow, about a 3 and a half month beardie, hit 10 inches long! Do any of it know if that’s long for a almost 4 month old?)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like common behavior. I think it's due to curiosity. He sees outside the viv and doesn't really understand the glass barrier. He wants to get out and investigate what's going on beyond his tank. My guy does the same thing when he's stuck in his tank. I try to provide him as much time outside the tank as possible so he can explore and burn off energy. Just have to set aside a safe area without any small bits on the floor that he could ingest and away from areas that he could fall into or big items he can get trapped behind if you can't move them to get him out etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom