Adopting Adult Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfDragons1988

Original Poster
So here is the mighty Falcor. He did so great on his ride home. His previous owner didn't bring him in anything so he rode the whole 40 mins home chilling on me. Once his enclosure was all set up I gave him a snack which he devoured! He looks happy to me, maybe a little under weight, but healthy otherwise. He gets to see his vet tomorrow evening for a check up :)
91053-7256712932.jpg
91053-6009293548.jpg

MotherOfDragons1988

Original Poster
I guess his previous owner was only feeding him live food every 2 weeks and he had a uvb coil bulb when I got him, so I'm thinking those and the lack of calcium or vitamin powder that came with him could account for his small size. But thankfully I already ordered a lot of the items he was missing :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Glad you've at least done the research :) my oldest is pretty small for her age, and I did use a coil bulb with her until just a few months ago... I feel terrible but I mean she's not unhealthy, just little :)

Jewels40

Hi everyone , I'm Jewels , A couple days ago my fiancé and I got a dragon , the previous owner got it for her son who is autistic and I don't think they ever held it , anyway she was going to let him go outside .. :banghead: I said no I'll take it ! So here we are , I do know that he is malnourished , and his tank was nasty , I felt bad for him..... and the same day she gave me the Dragon she went out and bought her son another lizard they have had tons of pets and just let them go outside including birds ferrets , Hedgehogs , she just makes me sick !!! She said she got this beardie when he was a baby. She said he is around eight months old but I don't know if I trust what she says , and she was only feeding him a couple worms every other day :angry5: ..... i've tried holding him he's scratched me all up
I gave him a bath ... or tried to yesterday he hated it ! So after we were done , I wrapped him in a towel and he Layed on my chest while I rubbed his head then... He got squirmy , I calmed him , this went on for about 20 minutes before I put him back in his tank. Will he ever get tame ? Im new here so not sure how to add pics :|

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Jewels,
It sounds like the prior owner is one of those "phase" pet owners that are despicable.

I understand you are new, but you would be best to create a new topic of your own as not to confuse responses with the original poster of this one.
Once you do, I will respond in more detail :D I do not want to hijack the topic from MotherOfDragons1988 as this is hers

Please go into Introductions and click on "New Topic" in the upper left
viewforum.php?f=44

MotherOfDragons1988

Original Poster
So Falcor is doing well, he has taken to his fresh veggies and fruits like a champ compared to the dehydrated stuff that came with him. And oh lordy, does he love his feeders. He has upgraded to superworms from the mealworms I got with him. I know they are not the ideal staple insect, but I am getting ready to order some Dubai roaches for him. My question in everyone's experiences, how many do you think he will eat at a time? He gets insects 3 times a week and veggies every day. With that being said how many superworms should he be eating at a time? I am pretty sure he would eat the whole container of them if I'd let him lol.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Oh boy does Richter love his supers...

Richter is still a growing dragon so he's entitled more bugs than veggies, but I try not to do more than 6 supers per feeding session. I mix in dubia and green beans to fill him up, but he just went through 40 supers in 2 days (3 feeding sessions per day)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Falcor looks very alert + reasonably healthy and if he's eating his veggies that's a HUGE bonus . :) Keep offering veg as the main part of his diet and don't worry about trying to fatten him up. Just go slow with the supers, 6-7 at a time and no more than that. He can get spoild on them + refuse other insects, so don't let that happen.

Traildrifter, be careful with that amount of supers, 20 a day is quite a lot, make sure you're offering veggies and other insects as well. :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD":2u5o8qjq said:
Traildrifter, be careful with that amount of supers, 20 a day is quite a lot, make sure you're offering veggies and other insects as well. :)

I have, he was getting low on appropriately sized dubia so his supers were upped, but has always been eating green beans with them as well. Just got in more dubia yesterday and supers are back down to 6 or so a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom