Rescue Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

OurNorbert

Hi!
We have had our Rescue Beardie since last November - we got him from the RSPCA - we were given the info they had about him but do not know his exact age and history.
Norbert doesn't eat much and I'm worried about him! He weighs 342g and as far as we know he is an adult around 4years.
The only thing he will eat is 2 or 3 morio worms 2 or 4 times a week.
I offer crickets also - we have had hoppers and Dubai roaches but since leaving his previous home with the RSPCA he has significantly reduced his food intake!! When we first got him he weighed 346g He never willingly eats veg! Ive hand fed him occasionally. We also have to give him water!
He seems happy enough we handle him - but not too much! He will poo in a warm bath weekly.
He has a good home - I think! His viv is a starter home from swell reptiles - platinum!!! He has a good basking spot and hiding areas also. Should I worry or is he perhaps slowed down for winter?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That Platinum kit from Swell Reptiles (generally excellent store) is one of the best kit's I've seen. That should provide a very nice home. It sounds like his weight is stable so that's a good sign. Don't be too forceful with food , especially bugs. Since he's an adult he won't need to eat a whole lot and can easily go a week without bugs. Keep offering the veg daily and rotate items until you latch onto something he is interested in. This can take quite a bit of patience but keep at it. Keep offering via hand feeding as you can create some movement that way and it may help with bonding.

OurNorbert

Original Poster
Thank you so much for that! I have read quite a few of the posts on the forum and several people have descibed having a new Beardie is like being a new parent!!!! I feel like that! We love our Norbert and want to make him happy in our home! I have been guilty of being a little pushy! 'Eat your bugs' Eat your bugs' Eat your greens' 'Drink your water'!!!!! I feel reassured that if he doesn't eat for a couple of days - it's ok! The RSPCA did a few follow up visits with us - but they ran out of suggestions why he was not eating too much. As long as he is eating something and there are no obvious signs of illness I can relax a bit! I will absolutely keep in touch with this great resource and refer to you if need be! Thanks again.
BTW! I have tried him with lots of different fruit and veg - always checking on-line 'safe' foods. Any tips of favourites!??

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
My rescues wouldn't eat anything but insects. Gonzo would occasionally eat strawberries (the juice made him look like a vampire lol), but Evee wouldn't touch any of it. Their previous owners never gave them any so they never developed a taste for anything but insects.

Like Cooperdragon said - keep rotating the veggies and fruits to see if something strikes his fancy. It can take a long, long time. It's kind of like getting a baby or toddler to eat something - you keep putting it in front of them and it may take 20 or 30 tries, but eventually they will try it! :)

Good luck!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The available veges in the UK are a bit different than in the US so I'd just stick to variety using what looks fresh at the store. My Darwin's favorites are collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, recently rainbow chard, chopped green beans, chopped green bell peppers, yellow and green squash cut into small worm shapes. I usually offer 2-3 of those per salad and rotate depending on whatever is fresh at the store each week.

OurNorbert

Original Poster
Thank you guys for that! Because we have no history we have no way of knowing what he likes! I have tried lots of different things - interesting you say chop into worm shapes!
I have bought courgette and squash 'Spaghetti' for him and wiggled it around to get his interest! But no luck! Would you suggest I try him every day or every other day??
Sometimes he gives me such an evil stare - I leave him for a while!!
My kids won't eat their veggies either! Man!!!!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Spaghetti squash is a good one too. My guys also like pumpkin guts in the fall =). To cut the zucchini and yellow squash into worm shapes I just cut a couple of circle slices, cut those in half, turn it 90 degrees and make thin cuts across the first cut. It makes them into little matchstick/worm shapes which work well on top of salads or even hand fed. Definitely have to strike them in the right mood though. They can be quite picky and stubborn so just keep trying daily. Everyone on here is familiar with "the stare" too =). :lol:

Help!!!
I just stepped on my baby ? She was on my shoulder & jumped off without me noticing & I stepped on her lower abdomen & beginning of tail by her little legs & she started like throwing up or I'm not sure exactly what happened I'm so worried I can barely tell if she is alive she keeps randomly moving & her beard is very dark from pain I believe also does anyone know of a vet not so expensive ? I really need to take her but can't atm to an expensive one
She is about 8 months or a year not 100% but a baby she is small

NBGwen":392oora1 said:
Oh no!!! Did you get help? Is she ok?

not sure if she is i didnt know what to do just made sure she was warm and safe but i am at work now this morning she was very still now i am just ready to go home and see how she is doing i hope she is still alive :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom