Intro With Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylerh

Hello to all the beardie owners and experts of this amazing site! I've been studying up on these wonderful creatures for a few months now, most time spent on this site. So, about 2 months ago a sister-in-law received 2 beardies from a friend from work. I've been interested in them since I was in highschool so thought I would ask if there were anymore. Well it turns out the lady had quite a few from a recent breeding, and said she would give me, my wife, and our 2 yr old son 2 of them, free of charge. After some research I had decided to only get 1, which we received yesterday. Now to the questions. I was told he is a male and that he was born on Thanksgiving. However, he is 12 inches long! I feel that is on the huge side for a 3 month old. Other question is about his color, he seems to be two-tone, unless it's because only parts of him have shed. Hopefully someone will have some info and whats up with this little big guy!
90727-3764169072.jpg
90727-7245857855.jpg
90727-3851349675.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you made a good decision getting just one, and he is a beauty. :) The size is a good average , on the high side. Some dragons grow slower, some a bit faster. The color is, as you guessed, a normal shed patter. They always shed in irregular patterns.

Enjoy your new boy + post any concerns in any of the subforums here, there's always plenty of helpful advice. :)

Tylerh

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome! We're still trying to figure out a name for him. When we put him in the viv my 2 year old runs up and says "hi little buddy!" very comical ?. In the first pic, you see his large basking rock/hide purchased from PetSmart, out of all the slate tile and carpet in the back he decides to take a very large poo right on the rock. Little bugger! Then as I go to get the rock out, he runs right through it. I wiped him the best I could, but figured it was way to soon to give him a bath since I only had him for max 4 hours. When should I give him his first bath? I also want to because his back is quite wrinkly and want to get the shed off.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, now that you have a stinky little buddy you really have to give him a bath. :) Just get a shoe box size or larger plastic tote, fill it about 2" with warm water and put him in for no more than 10 minutes. You can use an old toothbrush if need be. Always sanitize the soaking tub and don't allow your sone to participate since there is fecal matter involved. After you pat him dry [ paper towels, throw away ] put him directly back in the heat of the tank. For some crazy reason, a lot of owners swaddle the beardie in a towel after a bath for a snuggle, thinking they enjoy it. Don't do that because reptiles can't generate ANY heat no matter how thick the towel is, so they must be back in the heat of the tank.

Don't worry about the shed, it always comes off so be sue to never ever pull on it. Enjoy your new buddy and the new expeience. :)

Tylerh

Original Poster
Thanks again! I am going to start a new thread over at feeding since I have a few questions about that. Doesn't every new beardie owner have 1000 question's? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom