New member new BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Hellllloo!!

Super happy to be here and hopefully learn lots from all you helpful people out there. I hope to bring some pictures to the site as well as I am a photographer so I hope my BD will not be camera shy!

So first mistake I made was getting a tank with no sliding doors! Yes I know......... So for now until I build one with sliding doors what would you say is the best way to get my hand in without freaking him out? I am coming from above of course, so I currently put my hand as low as possible and go from there.

He is not aggressive but very new, as in two days in new environment so he is nervous. He is 11 months old, great eater, active and pretty cool all round actually. Yesterday he was stressed as it was his second day in his new tank but today he seems much better. He took a cricket from my fingers which is a good sign.

Can I ask you guys, should I pet after he takes cricket? Is that a good time to do that? I currently put my hand in the tank for around 5 minutes. I do that three times a day without touching him.

Tank is 30 gallon, hot spot is a happy 40-43, cool end is a happy 28. I use a reptile carpet, hide cave, water bowl, food bowl, dehumidifier in house so humidity is 34 in the tank and I have twine in the tank to climb and sleep on as well as two artificial plants that he actually jumped on to today as well a s a rock for basking spot and some wood.

Mainly I want him to understand I am not a BD eating man!! LOL so any advice on how to help him understand that is much appreciated :)

Thank you and please excuse the long mail.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're off to a good start. I agree that not having front opening doors can be a pain. Just keep doing what you've been doing and move slowly, get your hand low and try to come from the front as much as possible. Just do the best you can with the setup you have. I'd keep handling to a minimum for a little while to allow him to adjust to his new home (it sounds like he's already starting to settle in) I like to provide an hour or two of basking time after a meal. I've found it easiest to hold them in the evening when they have less energy. They will often just fall asleep on you then. If you have a safe area to let him play in, you can take him out of the tank and let him explore for a while (supervised) but I wouldn't start that until he seems calm and adjusted to the new environment. I look forward to seeing photos of your new buddy and hearing about his progress.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cooperdragon thank you very much for your reply. it is appreciated!!

Yesterday he was so much better and took crickets from my hand, which was awesome. One thing I did want to ask without starting a new topic is his number two. It has been three days today and he hasn't had one. Is this normal for with it being a new environment etc? Anything I can do about that?

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That varies depending on stress, amount of food, hydration, etc. Don't be too worried after just a few days. If it gets to be a few more days you can try a few drops of olive oil on the nose to get him to lick it off or you can drop a little bit of baby food applesauce or prunes on his nose to get him to lick that which will help things along. I'd avoid that if he's eating regularly and unless it's been a week or more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom