Meet new beardie Heisenberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youn6b

First time poster. Just got this bearded dragon yesterday at the herp expo in San francisco from augie and Amy's dragon and chameleon room. Does anyone know what morph he is? Also how can I get him to eat vegetables? I've tried mixing worms with the vegetables but he's a little too smart for that and eats around them.
80971-6550054876.jpg
80971-7090179752.jpg
80971-763570541.jpg
80971-940696141.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The young ones tend to ignore veges in favor of bugs. They need the protein to support fast growth so that's OK for now. Just keep a salad available so he knows it's there for him. They tend to start transitioning to mostly salads at around a year old or so. I would avoid any loose substrate because it's difficult to keep sanitary. I use ceramic tile because it's very easy to clean and maintain. Non adhesive shelf liner also works very well as a substrate. Look for something solid, with a little texture to it, and easy to clean.

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
My dragon is an older dragon and he favors bugs over greens. I was told by someone at a reptile convention that the older the dragon the harder it is to introduce the dragon to greens and veggies. He will eat greens when he feels like it, Kaisei is stubborn and usually eats his bugs before he would his greens. Kaisei was raised on crickets and mealworms.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
^ this is true from what I've seen. An adult dragon who wasn't raised with proper salads available has a harder time converting over to a mainly salad diet. It tends to take more persistence and creativity than with a dragon who has had veges available for most of their lives and aren't as hooked on bugs.

Youn6b

Original Poster
So today before I left for work at 5 am I left him a salad and no bugs. I came home and it doesn't look like he ate much of it but he did mess with it cuz it's all scattered. Guess that's a good sign?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may have just run through it at some point causing it to scatter. Hard to say for sure. Keep up with the salads though so he knows it's there.

anwyn

what a cutie!

I always left Mort a salad and eventually she would nibble bits. I'd trick her sometimes and stick a leaf of something in her mouth at feeding time. ;) But she got keen on it around 6 months. Sometimes I see her bound over to it in the middle of the day and eat a bunch. so cute. She knows when she needs it and will have days on or off it depending on her mood but it's always there.

Agree on the tile flooring after reading lots of tips here. Newspaper or paper towels are good too if you want something absorbant for poop while you're out. I have roofing slate on Mort's floor, but a blanket for her to burrow under if she wants to do that. (in addition to the cave, it's more for the burrowing/snuggling under action she likes to do sometimes)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What a cute beardie. It is a good idea to have greens available at all times in case he wants to nibble on them. Since he is so young though, it wouldn't be a good idea to hold off on the feeders to try to get him to eat his greens because babies NEED lots of protein to help them grow. For his size, he should be fed all the feeders he wants to eat 2 to 3 times a day in about a 10 to 15 minute time frame each time.

How often are you dusting his feeders with calcium & vitamins?

Youn6b

Original Poster
I feed him crickets right when I get home and then one more time about 2 hours before lights out. I dust them with calcium with d3 once a day. And I always leave salads out. And I also ordered some Phoenix worms that should be coming in tomorrow. I read you don't need to dust those at all.

Youn6b

Original Poster
Just got these phoenix worms and pretty mad. I ordered them small but they are very very very small. Beardie doesn't even see them

Youn6b

Original Poster
I put like 20 of them in a dish with some collard greens before I went to work. When I came back all the worms were gone and the collard greens were scattered so I'm guessin he ate them. When I try to hand feed he doesn't see them tho

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Double check under the substrate for escapees, but maybe piling them up is the way to go for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom