Rankins - Egg conundrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutieRankins

Hi there.

So, I've been rearing eggs in my incubator from my Rankins. Normally, I can tend to other reptiles eggs just fine - but these eggs are perplexing me.

I get all the way to 60 days (on a slightly lower temp, around 28c so the incubation period is a touch longer) and the fertile eggs grow, develop, kick about - then they pip... Then nothing. I don't even manage to get little snouts or heads poking out. Like they *try* to pip, but just don't manage it fully?

I've been using perlite and vermiculite, but the perlite seems to keep the humidity a little more stable. I don't get denting or dehydration UNTIL they pip. I've not *caught* one pipping yet, but they're always positioned with their noses right on the break line when I check on them. I don't fuss with them apart from a mid-way point candling. No temperature spikes as far as I can tell... Ugh!

I wonder if they've just not been strong enough? I've spoken to a few other breeders and they're perplexed too. Once we've known the clutch was dead, I've opened them up (we're talking 5-6 days after pipping and no movement, so dead dead, deflated, starting to smell) and they've been perfectly formed - some with a LITTLE yolk, some completely absorbed. One had the equivalent of a cleft palate, but that was 1 out of 10.

I have ONE egg left now on this second clutch and I am losing hope.

Edited to add: These are my girls second clutches. First clutches weren't fertile.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry about this situation, I've hatched many beardies but never Rankin's. I always used either vermiculite or sand, almost 100% hatch rate. Other than that I can't be of much help.

CutieRankins

Original Poster
AHBD":36nn3b5q said:
So sorry about this situation, I've hatched many beardies but never Rankin's. I always used either vermiculite or sand, almost 100% hatch rate. Other than that I can't be of much help.

I am so perplexed. And mostly upset. :(

CutieRankins

Original Poster
AHBD":26smby5v said:
I feel really bad for you. Are you sure you have enough moisture ?

Positive - I've even tried THREE different hygro/thermometer combos just in case the probes weren't good.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom