Rankins - Egg conundrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutieRankins

Hi there.

So, I've been rearing eggs in my incubator from my Rankins. Normally, I can tend to other reptiles eggs just fine - but these eggs are perplexing me.

I get all the way to 60 days (on a slightly lower temp, around 28c so the incubation period is a touch longer) and the fertile eggs grow, develop, kick about - then they pip... Then nothing. I don't even manage to get little snouts or heads poking out. Like they *try* to pip, but just don't manage it fully?

I've been using perlite and vermiculite, but the perlite seems to keep the humidity a little more stable. I don't get denting or dehydration UNTIL they pip. I've not *caught* one pipping yet, but they're always positioned with their noses right on the break line when I check on them. I don't fuss with them apart from a mid-way point candling. No temperature spikes as far as I can tell... Ugh!

I wonder if they've just not been strong enough? I've spoken to a few other breeders and they're perplexed too. Once we've known the clutch was dead, I've opened them up (we're talking 5-6 days after pipping and no movement, so dead dead, deflated, starting to smell) and they've been perfectly formed - some with a LITTLE yolk, some completely absorbed. One had the equivalent of a cleft palate, but that was 1 out of 10.

I have ONE egg left now on this second clutch and I am losing hope.

Edited to add: These are my girls second clutches. First clutches weren't fertile.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry about this situation, I've hatched many beardies but never Rankin's. I always used either vermiculite or sand, almost 100% hatch rate. Other than that I can't be of much help.

CutieRankins

Original Poster
AHBD":36nn3b5q said:
So sorry about this situation, I've hatched many beardies but never Rankin's. I always used either vermiculite or sand, almost 100% hatch rate. Other than that I can't be of much help.

I am so perplexed. And mostly upset. :(

CutieRankins

Original Poster
AHBD":26smby5v said:
I feel really bad for you. Are you sure you have enough moisture ?

Positive - I've even tried THREE different hygro/thermometer combos just in case the probes weren't good.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom