Selective Mating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question from a breeding newbie

So I have three girls and one boy that I've designated for breeding. The girls are various colors and morphs, but the male is my "money" dragon, as he's a hypo citrus purple paradox.

Naturally, I want him to breed with all three. However, he's only going all the way with one. He's been with her three times. Each time, he does his business within a minute. She lies there and doesn't resist.

The other two however, haven't been so easy. My boy immediately mounts them, but he doesn't really try to get in position. Within ten seconds or so, both females are swatting him away until he disengages. Once he does, he'll do the quick head bob, which is met with the slow bob from them. He won't however, try to get back on them until I remove him and try again in a couple days. This has been going on for a month.

What I'm wondering, is who's rejecting who, as it'll determine what steps I take from here. Does he not want to breed with these females, or are they unimpressed with him? Do the girls just not want to breed at all? For reference, the one he breeds with is 16-18 months, and the ones that reject him are 16 months and 3 years old respectively. I'm unsure of his age, but I'm guessing 2-3 years at least.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I'm not sure to be honest, AHBD might have a better idea.
When I was breeding, I never really tried breeding 1 male to multiple females as I only had 1 breeding pair.

Sometimes though the females just aren't receptive, or they don't feel it's the right timing. If he isn't a rough mater, I'd probably try once a week. If he is rough, i'd limit it more than that though.

How big are your 16 month olds? IMO, 16m is a bit small to be breeding. But that's just me. Unless the female is very large.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom