Hatchlings not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if this question is for this category, or the feeding category, so I'll post it over there also.
The oldest hatchling is 9 days old, the youngest is 24 hours old. I take them out individually to feed and bathing them, and a few are eating, by hand. After trying to feed all individual, i put them all back into the tank, i put a small plate of greens and some worms, and i leave it a few hours.
I dont know if the others who did not eat by hand, are eating. Also, the ones who eat by hand, i dont think the eating on their own. I spray them all, and they drink that way, but i dont see any of them going to the small water and drinking...
There is tiny poo i clean every morning, so some are getting fed...but when should i worry about the ones im unsure of? There are 21 in tank as if today.
Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

This is probably the best place for it, so I will remove your one in feeding :)

Typically, IME, it's best to feed them all in a group. Seeing the others eat usually spurs the slackers into eating too. This is also how I would get my hatchlings to eat salad from the first few days. Finely ripped salad raining down on them usually incited a frenzy of eating. Same happened when crickets were dropped in.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, feed them in their enclosure rather than taking them out. At 9 days they are just starting to get a bigger appetite but it can stress them if you take them out. Just drop the food in with them. The tank should be simple with just a few long basking sticks. Here's how I use to set mine up. They all ate like monsters. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

DragonCompanion

Original Poster
Thank you both for your replys!
I was feeding one at a time for two reasons, one to make sure they each eating, and two to tame them. Lol
If group feeding is better though, then I'll go that route.
They love the spraying, as soon as they see me with the green bottle, they get excited and open their mouths. So cute.
The tank is pretty simple, one branch, that can be taken out easily to clean tank. I don't have anything on bottom, for same reason. The mist last longer, and i can clean easily. The love the rock, when its wet water pools on center and one baby in particular loves to play there. Haha.
Here is a picture of their tank, the sun is shining through the window by them, and they are all on one side looking at the light. Usually all the stems from the branch is full of babies.
I will try raining the food down on them, that's
107440-4036243185.jpg
not something i had thought to do.
They dont like the crickets, i think they way to tiny and fast.
Ill keep you posted.
Oh, and thanks Brandon for removing the post from feeding. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a great set up for babies, it could be a little longer but otherwise is perfect. :) What type of uvb do you have ? So what size are the crickets ? They are fast but I found a way to slow them down, just put them in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder, shake them until they're dizzy + slow moving, then drop them in about a dozen at a time.And I agree, spraying the babies is one of the best ways to hydrate them.

DragonCompanion

Original Poster
I ordered small, and got micro size. I cant even see them without my glasses. Lol
Ill try calcium powder, great idea!

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's too bad about the cricket size, what company are they from ? At least you grow them bigger if you gut load them. Give them a bit of veggies [ very small amount + check that it doesn't get moldy ] They'll eat a bot of bran or oatmeal as well.

DragonCompanion

Original Poster
It WORKS!
Put the crickets into ziplock bag, sprinkle them with calseum, shook them like no tomorrow, and dumped them into tank.
It was a feeding frenzy!!!!
Im so happy.
Thanks for all the great advice!!!
Tami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom