Genetic Question hypo zero and LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanyp2

If i pair a visual hypo zero, with a normal leatherback, i would get a clutch of 100% double het hypo/zero and 50% will be LB. yes? and genetically, this is fine right?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What you would get from that pairing is only visual leatherbacks. And only some of them will be visual leathers.

Both the hypo trait and the zero trait are recessive. Which means none of them will be 100% het for it. All of them will have a chance for being het hypo and het zero. So you have a small chance of some het hypos, a small chance for some het zeros, and a smaller chance for some het hypo zeros.

And of course, you won't know which are which until they are proven out.

To get visual zeros/hypos from your pairing you would need your leatherback to be het zero and het hypo. If you proved out your LB to be het hypo/zero, then you for sure would get 100% het hypo/zeros alongside your visuals.

However, it's generally recommended that zeros only be bred het/het... at least for the time being until the bloodline strengthens. Even then, it usually is best to produce via het/het. VisXhet is a grey area with zeros. Some breeders do and claim it fine, other breeders claim hetxhet is the only safe way. Time will tell.

Hypos can be breed visXvis or hetXhet or visXhet without any issues.

-Brandon

seanyp2

Original Poster
So if you breed a ressesive visual(hypo/trans/zero/w.e) phenotype(parent 1)with a normal phenotype(parent 2)the offspring will be 100% het (genotype) that visual. So if the (parent 1)is a zero AND a hypo phenotype, Does it not get passed on the same? 100% het (genotype) for both? Or are you saying that after one recessive visual trait in one parent, it becomes like a 50%het zeros 50%het hypo or kinda random?

And half would be LB because it's a dominant trait right?

seanyp2

Original Poster
first of all, thanks for replying! I think one of us in confused lol i'm going to add my sources that say a visual recessive paired with a normal gives 100 % het offspring.

here is a copy and paste from bearded dragon forums

Normal x Normal = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype & genotype)
Hypo x Hypo = 100% Visual Hypos (phenotype & genotype)
Trans x Trans = 100% Visual Trans (phenotype & genotype)
Normal x Hypo = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype) Het Hypo (genotype)
Normal x Trans = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype) Het Trans (genotype)
Normal x Hypo Trans = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype) 100% Double Heterozygous for Hypo & Trans (genotype)
Hypo x Trans = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype) Double Het Hypo & Trans (genotype)
Hypo het Trans x Trans = 50% Visual Normal (phenotype) het Trans (genotype) 50% Visual Trans (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype)
Trans het Hypo x Hypo = 50% Visual Normal (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype) 50% Visual Hypo (phenotype) het Trans (genotype)
Hypo het Trans x Trans het Hypo = 25% Hypo Trans (phenotype & genotype) 25% Hypo (phenotype) het Trans (genotype) 25% Trans (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype) 25% Normal (phenotype) Double het Hypo & Trans (genotype)
Normal x Normal het Hypo = 50% Visual Normal (phenotype & genotype) 50% Visual Normal (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype)
Normal x Normal het Trans = 50% Visual Normal (phenotype & genotype) 50% Visual Normal (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype)
Normal het Hypo x Normal het Hypo = 75% Normal (phenotype) of which 33% are Normal (phenotype & genotype) and 66% are het Hypo (genotype) 25% Visual Hypo (phenotype & genotype)
Normal het Trans x Normal het Trans = 75% Normal (phenotype) of which 33% are Normal (phenotype & genotype) and 66% are het Trans (genotype) 25% Visual Trans (phenotype & genotype)
Normal het Hypo x Normal het Trans = 100% Visual Normal (phenotype) of which 25% are het Hypo (genotype) and 25% are het Trans (genotype) and 25% are double het for Hypo & Trans (genotype)
Hypo het Trans x Hypo het Trans = 100% Visual Hypo (phenotype) of which 25% are Visual Hypo & Trans (phenotype) and of the remaining 75%, 66% are Visual Hypo (phenotype) het Trans (genotype) or 50% of the total.
Trans het Hypo x Trans het Hypo = 100% Visual Trans (phenotype) of which 25% are Visual Hypo & Trans (phenotype) and of the remaining 75%, 66% are Visual Trans (phenotype) het Hypo (genotype) or 50% of the total.
Normal Double Het x Hypo het Trans = 50% Normal het Hypo 50% Visual Hypo (phenotype) of which 25% either Normal or Hypo will also be Trans and of the remaining 75%, 66% will be het for Trans.
Normal Double Het x Trans het Hypo = 50% Normal het Trans 50% Visual Trans (phenotype) of which either Normal or Trans will also be Hypo and of the remaining 75%, 66% will be het for Hypo.

these images are from red hot chilli dragons
105601-6169598424.jpg
105601-3423685231.jpg

This is a general breeding chart floating around
105601-645474140.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I must have been confused on the recessive traits being passed on then. Pardon me :)

I could have sworn that recessive vis x normal only gave a percentage of passing on. So my mistake, you were right :)

-Brandon

seanyp2

Original Poster
Haha, all good! I wanted clarification too! well the question is now i guess, what happens when you get multiple traits going like a hypo zero, and pair it with a normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom