Is my dragon ready to breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardybaby

Hi all,

I have one dragon who is less than a year old (11 months), but she is bigger than all of my other dragons. She is over 500 grams and has been for over a month now.

She seems ready to breed, and I really would like to breed her, but I don't want to jump in too soon. As I haven't been in a situation like this before with a dragon so large/mature so quickly, I thought I'd ask the experts...

She seems ready, and I was planning to maybe breed her when she is 12/13 months old, but I just wanted to make sure there are no unforseen consequences of doing so as I don't want to cause her any harm. She's an awesome dragon - I love her - and so it wouldn't be worth it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I would wait another 4-5 months, although some young dragons are already laying infertile eggs by 12 months. You'll hear people say that you need to wait until they are 2 years old but that's not so, but you should wait until closet to a year + a half.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
More to the point , are YOU READY to care for 30 or more very hungry hatchlings (could be just one clutch of eggs from 2 or 3 clutches for the season) for up to 8 weeks ?

Providing live insects 3 times per day, housing to ensure they are not overcrowded , heat , UV FOR ALL.

And have you had the male and female tested for ADV ?
if ADV positive ==> YOU SHOULD NEVER BREED THEM.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":q5vgj9ic said:
More to the point , are YOU READY to care for 30 or more very hungry hatchlings (could be just one clutch of eggs from 2 or 3 clutches for the season) for up to 8 weeks ?

Providing live insects 3 times per day, housing to ensure they are not overcrowded , heat , UV FOR ALL.

And have you had the male and female tested for ADV ?
if ADV positive ==> YOU SHOULD NEVER BREED THEM.

True. Do you own leopard geckos (male,female)? If so, try breeding them first, their easier and you don't get 30+ all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom