Super confused about breeding habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oops212

We've had these two "female" dragons for about 6 months now. And last night stumpy laid 28 eggs! Total surprise! And a total scramble to learn everything I could about eggs last night and made a homemade incubator just in case these babies are viable.

So she can have more clutches?
How long between her first clutch and the second?
Her belly is pretty empty looking I mean I thought she was just putting on winter weight. My other beardy does this around winter so I thought it was normal.

I've done tons of research the last 24 hours stressing out about this whole thing lol but the only flash light I own is on my phone and I see something in the egg but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
I downloaded a picture somewhere I'm not really sure where it went. But they aren't deflated or misshapen. I tried putting them in the incubator the way they were found but the other "female" dragon kept trying to bury them for her and rolled them around a bit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, they do look fertile and BTW it doesn't matter if they are moved around shortly after laying. It's after a few days that the embryo develops, then you can't put them in a different position.

Some infertile eggs are plump, too but usually not quite that nice as yours. If you want to be sure the other dragon is a male post pics here with it's tail arched high in the air , like a dog that's excited.

It's normal for them to lay multiple clutches, some 5-6 or even more but the average is 3-5 if the dragon is bred.

Oops212

Original Poster
102021-1918653725.jpg
How long between clutches usually? So it's super rare to have just one clutch?

I'm trying to figure out how to post more pics as soon as I do I will post one.

Thank you
102021-3417494735.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't tell from those pics because of the pattern + uneven shed/dirt on the other tail. The first pic looks like possible male but the angle + pattern are not allowing a good view. Can you have the dragons with all 4 feet on the ground, then arch the tail and get a more close up like in this picture ?

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Oops212

Original Poster
102021-4656671141.jpg

Checked the eggs because the temp and humidity gauge are wonky reading high one minute then normal the next. Saw these spots on one of the eggs is this normal?

Sorry lots of questions. Hahaha
102021-7797929267.jpg

Oops212

Original Poster
Stumpy laid 6 more eggs last night! So her first clutch is like 34 eggs. These ones were scrambled she laid them up on her perch? Didnt even bother getting down. I gave her another bath and rubbed on her belly it seems empty but it seemed empty Sunday night too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The speckled one looks bad but the rule of thumb is to give it a chance , it's too soon to tell. After 4-5 days you can candle the eggs and if they're fertile you'l see little networks of tiny veins branching out.

BTW, can you get more pics of the vent [ rear end ] of both dragons ? Has one ever shown a black beard + done of the head bobbing, etc ? Although a dominant female will at times show those behaviors as well. But a males beard is usually bigger + the black extends to the upper chest area as well.

Oops212

Original Poster
Yes I've had one of them have a black beard and head bobbing thing. It was super weird to witness the first time. I'll get more pictures tomorrow and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom