Fertile female, but third clutch not fertile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewww

Hi all,

This is the history of my female, Cleopatra’s egg laying:

Cleo laid one egg on July 25th, and 30 more the next day, but crushed eight. On July 27th, she laid one more egg with a total of 32 eggs and 9 crushed. This is the first time I’ve ever dealt with a female. My male is almost 14 years old, and I took Cleo in as a rescue. Last year she laid a few random eggs, but they were not taken care of.

By August 17th, she’s looking very gravid again.

On August 29th after 7pm, she laid maybe 23 eggs. I was able to take them out of the tank, however she may have eaten some since I took two out of her mouth. I know you should let her cover the eggs, but she turned to them as they were food. All of the eggs, and last two clutches have been perfectly fertile eggs.

September 13th, Cleo is looking gravid again.

She is showing all the signs to lay another clutch. She’s inflated and has been digging while frantically running around her tank. Last week, I noticed she had a bad egg next to her poop. Yesterday on September 26th, she laid a bad egg on the floor. It’s the yellow color of a chicken egg yolk, and is not perfect and round like all the rest she’s laid this year. She does not seem inflated anymore, and I cannot feel or see the eggs in her tummy. She’s still running around like a mad woman and frantically digging. Although she had a big belly like the other two clutches, she didn’t seem to develop like she did before.

Advice please.

I’ve read three clutches is common, and she can have up to eight, and are they all supposed to be fertile? I know the females keep sperm in their bodies for months, but I don’t understand this last lay. There’s been nothing really. I just want to ensure my baby girl is okay. I don’t think she is binded, because I can’t really feel anything in her stomach, but she laid two bad eggs.

Does anyone have any websites and/or books that they recommend? I’m about to call the vet, but only my male has been seen by them. All of this is new to me and I’m stressed and worried. The eggs seem to be great and healthy, unfortunately I only now have four left of the first clutch, and I have all 23 of the second. None have hatched.

Is it common for the female to lay two perfect clutches, then show almost all the same signs for the third, but only lay a bad egg spread out among days?

This is the time of month that she should be laying her third clutch, according to the dates of the last two clutches...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have firsthand experience with egg laying but have read about it on here. She must be pretty exhausted after laying so many eggs over the summer. I would ensure she is getting plenty of calcium in her diet. Calcium rich greens like collard and turnip greens are a good idea if she'll eat them. I think the major thing to worry about is having an egg burst internally. If you are concerned about this batch, I'd bring her to the vet and have them check everything out with an ultrasound to see what's going on.

Mewww

Original Poster
Yesterday, October 3rd the first clutch hatched and I have little babies running around the incubator.

Today, after thinking Cleo wasn’t going to lay anymore eggs... she laid 22 so far. I have four in the incubator right now, but the rest look small, slender, and elongated unlike the rest of the eggs. They almost appear to be undeveloped. Any advice on these eggs!????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom