1 noob + 1 outdated veteran

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
anyalyssa":355eyci3 said:
HippieLizards":355eyci3 said:
]Those ones are gorgeous :D Weros are a cross between a witblits and a zero (and a zero is a all white dragon as well).

From what I've read and understand, and was told by this breeder, witblits are patternless, zero are colorless. Zeros are white, but do still have patterning on top of the white. You are exactly right about that.

A wero is completely totally pure white all over, with no patterning. Yes it is. But with that in mind, Witblits, zeros and Weros have VERY small gene pools and are much more prone to health issues because of their lack of strong genetics. So keep in mind, some may come out deformed or be more prone to health issues.

Breeding would be way too much for me to handle or deal with on my own. But my BF used to breed dragons, until he had to move and could no longer keep up with it. He's wanting to get back into it because I showed him a wero dragon, which didn't exist or was still unknown to him before. Weros are very new to herpetology which means, new morphs, new health problems. :?

Now it's a matter of researching to learn new information from after he stopped breeding. Yes indeed. Try to cram in as much info as you can before pairing up your dragons. and Could you post a few pics of the desired breeders and their tanks? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
anyalyssa":3f5lrynp said:
kingofnobbys":3f5lrynp said:
<<< I suggest he only uses superworms as treats , and breeds silkworms as an alternative staple feeder insect , they are much more nutritious than superworms .

A know of several beardie breeders (here in NSW, Vic, QLD and SA) who breed silkworms as feeders (and harvest and hatch silkworm eggs by the 10,000s to feed their hatchlings , as well as woodies (a form of roach) and crickets as feeders.

He always fed crickets to his dragons in the past, but the breeders here have all been telling us that super worms are better. <<< I disagree about superworms (definitely not good insects to give younger dragons at all, and only suitable to use as treats for adults …. the issue for young dragons is the hard to digest chiton (exoskeleton & high fat content and poor Ca/P) and for adults the fat content and poor Ca/P) ,see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

Have literally never heard or read a single mention of silk worms until now. I have heard of the roaches, but that they were better for young dragons. And I've heard that meal worms really aren't so great for them because they're pure chitin. (Sp?) <<< Meal worms and super worms are very similar in body shape and construction , see above link or comparison.

Silkworms are a practically perfect feeder insect , soft bodied + high protein + high Ca/P + and slow moving and don't bite back.
I've found hatchlings love the surplus moths too and don't mind the freshly dead moths either.
I breed my own silkworms , so the only costs are :
>> buying bulk fresh mulberry leaves in season
>> buying silkworm chow in powder form when I don't have fresh or blanched frozen mulberry leaves over winter.

Where are you located? I don't know those abbreviations. I'm in South Eastern US. Australia.

I'll look into this, thanks for the information. I'm updating him with newer research as I find it. I'm going to learn everything before jumping into this.

I'm also a first time rat owner. After 15 years of wanting one and reading everything I could find, I still wasn't fully prepared, and I'm still learning things that only experience can teach, so I know breeding will be a process as well. But I'm committed to doing it right.

In fact, simply owning dragons has taught me things that I wouldn't have even thought about trying to research until I had a reason to after seeing it. No tells you about how they look like they're having a seizure when trying to pop a shed! That's just one example. Or how rats can sleep sitting up with their eyes open..... Ah the joys of pets!

yoshinity

You should look for "nutritional chart for feeder insect"

Dubia Roaches and Black Soldier Flies Larvae are top ones
lots of other worms are fatty and not good for babies, and should be only for treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom