Breeding smaller female with larger male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katera26

So I have two bearded dragons. One male and one female. Our male is about 21 inches long and we think he’s a German giant. Our female is a little smaller than our male. We have only found information on breeding with bigger females and smaller males. I was just wondering if it’s safe for them to mate? They’re both around the same age. They’re older. But she still lays eggs. Please get back to me if you know anything!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, perfectly fine as long as they are both healthy and she's mature. [ which she is if laying rggs ] Of course you should supervise any mating so that he does not hurt her. Mating looks rough even when it's normal because the male grabs the ridge on the back of the neck + may shake her a bit. but if she is really resisting and he thrashes her around then it's best to let her be.

Sometimes it's really best not to mate them, the males personality may change quite a bit and you can't keep them together .

Another thought is that you will get tons of babies which are super expensive to raise + may be very hard to sell. If you get rid of them for a very low price you can be sure that many will end up in homes where people lose interest + then they get shuffled around , neglected + possibly abused.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Agree with AHBD, I Think it should be perfectly normal but, You do need to consider some things. Each female can lay up to six clutches, each typically have 25+ eggs in them, and they'll normally all hatch. and Then you'll need to have lots of supplies and equipment and housing for up to 100+ babies and then for the first few months each and every baby needs to be fed around three times a day and you can go through as much as 10,000 bugs each week and those can be expensive.

Then once they are around 6 inches long (IMO the youngest you can sell them at) You might have trouble finding good proper homes for them and then you'll get stuck with any babies that haven't been sold and also breeding them and the costs for everything to take care of the babies will be around 1500$+ for everything. So Just put those factors in mind before you pair them up. :)

-HippieLizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom