Fertile Eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a month ago, my beardie laid 23 eggs (Her first clutch ever). She is about 2 1/2 years old. She is currently housed with a male. Being stupid like I am, I didn't get a lay box set up for her in time, and she laid them in her enclosure. Two were obvious infertiles, and one was laid in the water dish. I then had 20 good looking eggs left. I set the incubator to 84 degrees and let it properly steady itself before putting the eggs in it. I put them in Tupperware dishes in vermiculite. I have 11 good eggs left, as of today. They all look good, but only one has begun showing veins in the four weeks they've been incubating. Is this normal? I believe the incubator is much cooler than it says, by maybe 6 degrees or so. Could that be a possible reason that they haven't begun showing veins? I should clarify as well that they all have pink spots in them and I pointed those upward when putting them in their containers. They seem fertile, but the lack of veins is worrying me. Any help at all is VERY much appreciated.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
From what I know cold temps can greatly affect their growth quite a bit.
In the two clutches, I've incubated most eggs started showing veins after 5 days had passed. I'm currently at day 13 on my girls fourth clutch and almost all have nice veins showing except for maybe 5 or so out of the 33 eggs.

I'd really suggest getting a digital zoomed two in one temp/humidity gauge with a probe for monitoring the temps and humidity inside the incubator rather than just looking at what the incubator is saying the temps are.

The incubator I have is off by quite a lot and I had to have mine set to 34C to get it to 84F. Which 34C is actually supposed to be 93F. Other than that it works great.

ghosthunters2002

Original Poster
I actually have 5 different thermometers inside the incubator, and most say about 78-80F. The humidity stays between 75-85 usually. The incubator currently says 86F, and I've been slowly increasing every day to see what the other thermometers read, and trying to get the temp up to 84. I'm just worried that one is showing veins, and has been for about 3 weeks, but none of the others have.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If they are fertile I'm guessing it's due to the cold temps that they aren't growing. Normally you don't want it to drop below 80. And too low of temps for too long can kill the eggs.

Hopefully, someone that has far more experience than me will chime in soon since eggs are still a pretty unfamiliar ground for me.

ghosthunters2002

Original Poster
Im really hoping its just the colder temps, but the one egg just seems strange to me. I'm working on getting the temps higher, but slowly. I don't want to change the temp too quickly and stunt the eggs. Any help is greatly appreciated, even if you aren't very experienced. ☺

ghosthunters2002

Original Poster
Ive now gotten all the thermometers to a pretty good average. I haven't had any problems with humidity. I'll post pictures of the eggs and temps in a moment.

ghosthunters2002

Original Poster
Eggs:
full

Temps/Humidity:
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, dragon eggs can actually develop at temps. lower than 80 , this would not kill them but it could take longer for them to develop. Still, they would definitely have veins by now so something else is up. Are you sure that you are checking them properly ? Also, how old is the male ? A male that is older than 4-5 can sometimes stop producing viable sperm and another possibility is that he did not complete the copulation so some or most eggs were not fertilized.

ghosthunters2002

Original Poster
I've been placing the thermometers in different areas trying to get a good idea of the temp inside. They range from 80-85F at the moment. It is also her first clutch ever, so could that be the likely reason they aren't turning out well? I've been constantly checking on them and keeping everything how it should be. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. But I could be. The male is actually 2 years old. Hopefully she has another clutch that turns out much better. I'm trying to stay positive that I'm doing it right, and it's just because it's her first ever clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom