Dead egg??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I just checked my incubator and was going to candle the egg I had, I shined the flash slightly near it and I couldnt see the veins anymore, or at least they were very faint. So carefully I picked it up to see if I could get a better look and as I picked it up there was just this black coloring all underneath it.
image.jpg

I'm not sure if its dead or not, the egg came from an accidental clutch of 27 other eggs but they all died after a bit, this one was the only one that seemed to be doing good.
They were most likely to hatch between May 10th and June 9th as they were laid on March 21st.

Humidity seemed to be fine, temperatures were around 81-83 in the incubator.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=240829
Theres more information about everything on this post.

And then a picture of the egg just a few days ago..
image.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really strange, do you have anything mixed with the vermiculite ? Can you see any mold anywhere or does it smell odd ? It's not too wet ?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have some perlite mixed with it but other that nothing else. It doesn't smell odd at all or have any mold growth anywhere inside the container or incubator. I dont think it's too wet at all, no excess water comes up when I press on the substrate the egg is in.
There is condensation on the sides of the container but I dont think thats a problem?

I slightly candled it earlier to see how it was doing, all I can see is yolk but on the side where there's that black circle like area it seems to have a red mass of some sort. I have noticed that on that side its mostly yellowish/discolored but on the other side it seems to have a grayish white coloring... the egg doesn't feel firm at all, sort of like a water balloon instead.

I also noticed that the black circle/area seems to be protruding out a bit and it feels a bit hard.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've never seen anything like that.... it's almost certainly no good, but keep it until it gets moldy or begins to stink. Then you'd be sure that it's bad.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, I'll be sure to give you updates if anything about the egg changes.
It is pretty weird that the egg would go from being 100% looking good, white, plump with lots of veins to suddenly this. Too bad theres not an easy explanation for why it happened.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Still no smell, or really much change other than the fact it seems to be caving it on its self... well mostly just on one side, the part with the black circle is still hard/firm feeling while the other side slightly has dents in it. Humidity seems fine, theres condensation on the sides and top of the container and temps are at 83*F.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This egg is just really confusing... theres no changes other than the fact the red mass has grown.
I'm going to keep incubating it in case it actually is good. I would take a picture but you wouldn't be able to see the red mass very well on camera.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
image.jpg

Managed to get a picture of the egg, still incubating it. Not sure if this looks good or not, but the red mass has seemed to have grown larger somewhat.

I've had some people suggest it's most likely dead and that it was just too weak to continue to grow which sort of makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom