Age to worry about females and eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doch

I've searched... But have had no luck.

At what age should I be concerned about my female dragon needing a lay box? She's I little chubby at ~18months or so. I think we may try to bed them, but in the Sept or so.

Thanks

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure at the very least shes 24 months before breeding and also make sure you have liquid calcium on hand (it helps a lot, especially if they refuse food or are too lethargic to eat anything), also have at least 400-600 saved away for vet bills... I've had to take my female to the vet twice so far and each time was about 100 just for the exotic exam and fecal testing.

If you breed too early or the female doesn't have enough calcium in the diet or isn't fat enough it could be fatal. My female laid about 27 eggs and lost about 100 grams, it also took about an hour for her to lay them all. First two days she was lethargic and very hesitant on eating, but after a few more days she got stronger but it was very troubling seeing her act like that.

There really isn't a specific age to worry about eggs, some females never lay. I'd just watch her and if you see any constant digging get a dig box setup and put her in during the day so she can dig her burrow.

As for breeding make sure you have a place where you can sell the babies where they'll get good homes.
Also realize your going to have to spend at least 100 dollars each month on food, maybe 200 dollars each month depending on how many babies hatch. That is if you buy in bulk online.
You also have to keep those babies probably for 2 months at the very least... but 4 would be better as they would be less fragile and more well started.

Also 100-200 dollars a month would probably be for a single clutch of 15-30 babies... one female can lay about 6 clutches from a single mating, each clutch having 15-30 babies so lots of mouths to feed.

doch

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Breeding is a future issue... May try it, may not. We'll see. If we do, it'll be roughly Sept, and she'll be about 24 months.

She's not digging, but she's antsy. She's wondering around the cage alot trying to get through the glass. She's eating well. She's a little chubby, but has been that way for quite a while... No recent significant change. She seems to be putting on about 10g every 3 weeks consistently.

I felt her belly today and can't feel any lumps or anything, but I'm not really sure where to be feeling, or how hard I can press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom