Eating habits are opposite? Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domondios

During the past month, my female has been ravenous and my male has only eating a couple crickets and Dubia Roaches. As of 2 weeks ago, my male has eaten everything I've put in front of him. My female is now going onto day 3 where she hasn't eaten. She does have eggs.

Is this normal behaviour?
How long can I expect her not to eat? I don't want to become worried if it continues for much longer. I do try and feed her 3 times a day, regardless.

Thanks in advance.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's actually a sign of the female being close to egg laying. They almost all stop eating completely, the eggs take up all the room and the dragon has no appetite and focuses on looking for a laying site. Do you have a laybox set up ? You'll need one ASAP.

domondios

Original Poster
Thanks for your response.

I have moved her from the terrarium that she was sharing with my male. He gets a little overbearing and beards the whole time.

The terrarium she is in now is a lot bigger, so I've tried to construct a lay area using sand and creating shelter and good soil depth to dig. Not sure if it's ideal as she hasn't yet seemed to try and dig. Should I rather have it in a separate container?

domondios

Original Poster
Great. I will try upload images. Not as simple as I thought, especially when the Upload button never responds. I'm using Chrome, so will try IE.

At the moment, by female is frantically scratching at the cage door to get out. Her laying area is behind her but she isn't using it. I'm afraid that if she doesn't find something soon that she may be in danger of the eggs going bad inside her, which could result in death :(

I have a new container, currently without a lid, and am possibly buying Vermiculite which I'll mix together with her sand. I'll mix it into a damp solution and try to reuse the shelter I'm currently using.

Quick question: my male sometimes bops his head quickly, whilst she slowly lifts and drops her head and body to the ground. He will then bolt for her, jump on her back, bite her on the side of her mouth and then violently thrashes his head and body. Like an alligator tearing its prey into pieces. I've been taking him off everytime he thrashes... should I not worry about it? I personally don't feel comfortable when he acts this violently.

Thanks

domondios

Original Poster
This is the area I created in her cage with Namibian Sand
74438-311744637.jpg

This is a picture from distance with my girl and her laying area I created
74438-595393284.jpg

I was originally planning on using the Blue container on the right, but have opted to use one of my daughters toy boxes with a lid, on the left.
74438-5306372843.jpg

Please let me know if this is a viable option?

Thanks again. Great to be in touch with someone who can provide feedback quickly :)

domondios

Original Poster
I got 3 bags of Vermiculite. Was under the impression that it was similar to soil, but it looks more like a nutrient.

74438-3532099282.jpg

I should then simply mix it up with the sand I'm using?

Before I even at attempt anything, can someone tell me I have the right stuff?

Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you can use the vermiculite mixed with sand, it will help it to hold it's shape. That's also what you incubate eggs in. You definitely want to put the male in another enclosure, he will stress her GREATLY and can compromise her health. Very bad for her at this stage. There in no other option at all. If he's already separate but just dos it when they're outside together then keep them apart then as well.

Your little laying area in her tank is too small. Use a large plastic shoe box upside down with one side cut out, then pack in most of the way with the damp sand. Use your hand to start a tunnel for her. You can use that or the large lay bin that you have. Don't worry, she'll lay them when she's ready.

domondios

Original Poster
Perfect. Thanks.
Im hoping that the eggs are not fertile because I don't have appropriate heat sources or a way to make/buy an incubator.
I need to plan for it and I think they began mating during the first week after adopting them.

Will use the large container and post pics so I can get more feedback.

Thanks for your input

domondios

Original Poster
She started digging in the box. Only sand and vermiculite damped together. How do I ensure that her cave doesn't collapse and when can I approach her? I'm really happy she started. Makes me feel like I've done something right :)

Any advice in next step or to-dos? Posting a pic now

domondios

Original Poster
Serious question. I had to rebuild the box. She dug a big enough hole to fit in. No idea if she's laid because she's still in it. She is fast asleep though. Can I just leave her in? I'm sleeping in the same room as her tonight because I'm afraid something goes wrong.

Am I over reacting. She seems fine. Thanks

domondios

Original Poster
OK. So her temperature dropped off a lot so I moved her back into her home and transferred all the sand from the box.

She has plenty room in her cage and I can regulate the temp easily. Her wellbeing is important and for me to manage it easily.

I'll post progress. I'm a little manic so will calm down and take my pace easier. Thanks for the patience

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't dealt with this firsthand but I think moving her back to her tank was the right decision so she can warm back up. If she starts digging again give her some more time in the lay box to dig around but I'd offer that time in shifts for a few hours at a time rather than permanently. If the cave doesn't hold you could try cutting one of the small sides from a shoebox and set that over the hole inverted so it forms a more stable roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom