Thinking about breeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my sister both have young beardies. We think hers is a male and mine is a female (hers has two bumps and mine has one) so we are debating if we should breed them in about a year.
96732-6024909029.jpg
These are our beardies, her male is slightly younger, but they are both very healthy and chubby :lol: . The one on top is Skywalker and the one at the bottom is Maz Kanata (first name is BB-8 but when we realized she's a girl, we moved to her middle and last name, and we just call her Maz.) We would buy a incubator, any recommendations for incubators? and then buy maybe a 20 gallon terrarium or at the next dollar per gal sale at petco we could buy one. Should we breed them? I have done lots of research already and have been saving my money for everything, should I breed/mate them?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Im also thinking about breeding as well, it seems around this time a few people are. It'll most likely be more than a year from what ive researched. Males can mate at around 18 months i believe with females better off at 24 months, however that is just what ive found. Maybe a more experienced person on that could offer more advise for the right age.

Thats gonna be a lot of 20 gallons for tons of babies so possibly get a rack and some bins, I dont exactly know what a good sized bin would be, but i believe most people use 100 L totes to raise them in, or 106 QT tub. It would most likely be cheaper to go with the bins/totes rather than the tanks, also more light weight.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480 This is a pretty good post to see how to setup a rearing tub/tote.

If you do really plan to breed i'd setup a few colonies of crickets and dubias beforehand so you have enough food ahead of time, after all if my math is right one single 1-4 month old bearded eats around 1,260 bugs a month. So if one female beardie can lay up to 6 clutches of eggs from one single breeding, 15-30 or so eggs each clutch thats gonna be a lot of bugs needed.

I'd also make sure that you can keep leftover babies in case they dont all get sold.

For incubators I'm currently using this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG4166U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Im thinking about getting a different one eventually but it works pretty good at keeping the humidity and temps up. However again a more experienced person could help out with that as i dont know how good it would be for eggs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom