Possible Beardie Morph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercraft

So we got our beardie from a pet store*, and we.. noticed something since - though they were in the non-'fancy'(morph) enclosure with the rest of the common beardies, Feanor doesn't really look like the others in that tank? Which we noticed after deciding on them.

They aren't really grey at all (save for the tip of the tail, but they're shedding that so it's possible that's not actually the case), and this is our first beardie so we really don't know enough about morphs to be able to tell if maybe the kiddo was mis sorted or something or if this is just a normal coloration of common beardies too.

The phone changes colors a little when I take pics, but I tried to get them as close as possible. Feanor looks like they're shedding their tail and the top of their head right now, so those are duller. The back of their head and their back have some distinct bright orange lines and their back legs are um.. weirdly pink? As if the scales were more translucent there.
9BspMsC.jpg

aXs093E.jpg

*I know it's better to get the kids from a breeder, there just aren't any in our area which plus lack of car makes that nigh impossible (and we honestly felt bad for the ones at the store when we visited).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he looks very pretty with some nice coloring. :) Color can change as they shed and they usually shed in stages, not all body parts at the same time. Can you get a closer pic of his back ? Looks like a possible leatherback, just not a smooth one. And if his nails are totally clear with no trace of a greyish line through them then he is also a hypo. More stores get certain morphs in because they are so common now that all the breeders have them + sell them along with " normal phase " dragons.

Papercraft

Original Poster
AHBD":32okom9q said:
Hi there, he looks very pretty with some nice coloring. :) Color can change as they shed and they usually shed in stages, not all body parts at the same time. Can you get a closer pic of his back ? Looks like a possible leatherback, just not a smooth one. And if his nails are totally clear with no trace of a greyish line through them then he is also a hypo. More stores get certain morphs in because they are so common now that all the breeders have them + sell them along with " normal phase " dragons.

This is the best one we have right now - but we can.. get some more tomorrow if needed (they're just asleep right now), and all their nails are clear! That was part of why we were.. wondering at first. We'd heard that meant hypo, but we weren't sure what that.. really meant, or if more specifications were involved.
xnSylaY.jpg

Edit: We also noticed the.. back legs look very pink? Especially compared to the front, and we were wondering if that was.. usual, or a pigment thing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hypomelanistic means he has less melanin that would darken the over all color.I can't see the differece in leg color but it's usually associated with shedding, the body part can look pinkish or whitish at the time of shedding.

And it looks like he's either a not so smooth leatherback or has reduced scales, smaller than usual but not quite a leatherback. Here are pics of some of my babies to show the contrast, first a normal scaled non leatherback, then a leatherback which has much smoother back scales.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29870/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29923/full

Papercraft

Original Poster
That makes sense, thank you so much! We were just, really curious since they did look quite different from most we'd seen in that enclosure so far.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) You'll enjoy watching him grow and change. Post pics as he does so, it's interesting to see how they turn out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom