Bearded dragon develops eggs then they disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobearles

I have a had my pair of dragons now for a year and a half and they approximately 2 years old. They have brumated twice in there life. Last year the female developed small lumps in her stomach which I thought were eggs but after a few weeks they disappeared with out a trace. This year when she came out of brumation she started to show all the breeding signs again and then began developing eggs which I could clearly feel. I supplemented her meals every day with calcium and vitamins, provided proper lighting and heating, and provided a laying box.

When she started trying dig in the viv I let her go in the dig box daily, she would dig big holes and just sit in them (this happened for about two weeks), then she began to sit there in the corner of the tank and appeared to have no energy. Now I can't feel any eggs in her stomach but there are also none anywhere else.

I am really confused and wonder if anyone has any clue what is going on here and if there is anything else I can do next time she begins to develop eggs.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Some female bearded dragons cycle their eggs by laying infertile slugs each season, but others cycle their eggs by developing eggs and then resorbing them into their body rather than laying. It's strange, but far better than risking egg binding. If you have a female who absorbs infertile eggs, count yourself lucky! I had a female who laid up to 4 clutches each season, and it was really stressful for both of us.

Are you trying to breed your bearded dragons? If so I strongly recommend reconsidering, as a single female can produce up to 100 eggs in one season, which results in a LOT of hatchlings. Selling baby bearded dragons these days (especially if they're just Normals) is especially difficult because the market is already saturated with unwanted beardies.

Jacobearles

Original Poster
"HylianHealeys". Thank you. That is good to know. I am not planning to breed her, but if she does lay a fertile clutch then I will incubate a few of the eggs as I know a few people who would like to buy some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom