Help. What morph/color is my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megdan1

This is before her shed. She was a rescue from someone who I think got themselves into more than they thought was gonna be needed so they decided to get rid of her. However she was extreamly thirsty, under weight, the tank was completely bare and had no top. Luckily I was prepared because I have been keeping herps for over 16 years and had everything here that I needed. Although I have kept lizards before, it has never been a huge passion as I have always been more passionate for snakes but we got this little girl for my daughters. She was nine inches and 21 g. It's been a month and she seems to be doing awesome. She is now just over 10" and weighs 45 g.She has fully shed except for her tail. I noticed that all of her nails are clear which I heard means that she is most likely hypo, but she has a bright yellow head and ALOT of beautiful bright orange color as well. I was just interested in seeing if any of you more experienced beardie owners could help me out here?
94519-3606436327.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, along with being a hypo she is a beautiful orange leatherback. :) Looks very healthy , too.

Megdan1

Original Poster
Oh wow that comes as a big surprise to me. I thought she looked a little leatherback-ish for lack of a better term but like I said I'm very new to bearded dragons and wasn't too sure because she does have spiky scales spaced out across the back here and there and I'm completely new to dragons all together. I thank you so much for saying she looks very healthy! I have been taking care of her by the book since I got her and had fallen in love with her instantly. I've kept snakes for many many years and snakes are somewhat more forgiving than lizards and the fact that it takes less care for most species so it's been a new challenge for me and I am enjoying it very much. I have just real recently started to finally get her to eat more collardgreens than just one little bite. she eats five or six pieces at the time now so I'm excited about that because I've heard some dragons can be picky. So it makes me feel very happy that you say she looks healthy. Can you explain to me more about Leatherbacks? Sometimes it's hard to get information online that you want. Oh and I forgot to mention at first I thought I got a little ripped off because when she arrived she was in very poor condition and like I said an empty dirty 20 gallon tank with nothing in it except her . And I paid $50 for her I know that you can get a normal bearded dragons for less than that from reputable breeders and reptile shows so when I saw what little bit came with her I was a little disappointed and disappointed in how are she had been treated because she was so beautiful. But from what I know hypo leatherbacks are kind of on the expensive side right? Not that I care, like I said I was just happy to get her and happy to have her now. I could care less what she cost or how much she's worth. Now, to me she's priceless. ?

KozmoRox

Oh my goodness!! She's adorable, looks a lot like my Kozmo, who is about 1year old now. Kozmo is also a hypo orange leatherback :) I bought mine from PetSmart as a fancy on sale for $36! She was tiny and I count myself lucky because she's beautiful and has been healthy. She required a lot of careful nurturing and care, like a baby! Haha! She has become dear to my family, we all care for her very much!

89207-7764981207.jpg
89207-5676831300.jpg

Megdan1

Original Poster
Thanx a bunch for your admiration of my new girl. Yours too, is very beautiful and I would be honored for her to look like yours when she gets that size. She has been treated very well since we got her and I can definitely tell she is happy. I am the only one in the family that she will actually walk up to the glass of her enclosure. Everyone else just gets a stare like ". . .and you want something or what?" Lol she is sitting on the arm of the couch under a heat lamp as I type. I just got finished feeding her some freshly wash clovers. We don't have an official name although we like Sydney which was the first pick until we found out it was very common. Then it was Kahleesi because she is the mother of dragons on Game of Thrones. But we are also huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans and I think me and my daughter Caydence just decided on Drusilla, because she is our favorite villain. So there you go. lol that's her name now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They are both very beautiful. :) Leatherbacks can be very smooth, even lacking side spikes, or can be somewhat less smooth but still not heavily scaled as a normal scaled dragon. I have pics of leather babies compared to non leathers that I raised. First is a leather :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29851/full

Next is non leather :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29870/full

If a leather is bred to a non leather [ normal scaled] , you will get some L.B.'s and normals in every clutch.

Megdan1

Original Poster
Thank you both for your kind comments, and thank you AHBD for the info. Those were some nice beardies in the pics. Even favored my lil girl. I'm glad I now know what she is. It had never really crossed my mind that she could be a leatherback because I was a lil uneducated. But I definitely see it now. Thanx again!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) And yes, a hypo leatherback would go for more than a normal scaled dragon or a pet store dragon [ even though some of these are showing up in stores more often ] .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom