My Beardie just laid eggs who I thought was the male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leanboy70

I recently separated my dragons Harry & Lloyd because last spring Lloyd kept jumping on Harry, I thought they were fighting but turned out he was trying to mate with her...they were just babies..turned 1 around May 2016. I'm a new dragon owner, and couldn't afford to get a 2nd enclosure last year so I just tried to keep them from hurting each other, in which I was successful. I watched "lady" Harry carefully and no eggs, so I thought she was too young. This winter Harry was pretty dominant over Lloyd & Lloyd got sick with yellow fungus. He nearly died over Christmas so we saved up to finally separated them in March 2017. They both seemed to be thriving in their separate enclosures, Lloyd was eating a lot more but then Lloyd relapsed with getting yellow fungus sores and started having seizure tremors. Harry has developed some kind of black fungus too she might have caught from her time together with Lloyd. I stripped down their tanks, sanitized with f10, put newspaper down, and boxes & rappers covered with newspaper to keep enclosures easy to clean and sanitize. I've been giving both Bendatine baths, and topical fungal cream...they always poop in the bath and also started giving reptaid supplements while we wait for vet app coming up shortly. We discovered from reptile expert that the UV lighting we were using sucked...so brought brand new top line UV and are applying topical cream for the fungus. Then I noticed Lloyd's vent has been really swollen, and looking red, irritated, dropping low...so I'm freaking out thinking protrusion now...I gave him a few sugar baths and that seemed to calm the irritation. Then whenever I hold him gently, he was almost head butting me (digging behaviour....now I get it), and wiggling his back end as if to rub his vent on me. This morning I picked him up to check out his vent and it looked ok, no worse but still swollen & red. I put him back on his basking area. An hour later I check on him....and he's surrounded by eggs!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? Do females mate like males? Their mating dance was text book with Lloyd going on top of Harry?? So it's obviously not vent protrusion...thank god..but he/she was getting ready for eggs (totally infertile as they're all dented and yellowish.) I'm just so confused though. lol...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what a surprise for you, huh ? And I'm really sorry that they have Y.F. Some dragons are put on an oral med. [ voraconazole ] but be aware that this disease often leads to death.

Can you post pics of both dragons as well as their set up ? Include pics of the fungal lesions. Here's how to upload pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom